GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mint problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209792-mint-problem.html)

Broadback[_3_] 22-05-2014 09:50 AM

Mint problem

For years, like almost everyone, I would imagine,I have grown mint
successfully in pots. This year problems, the mint leaves are being
eaten before the plant has a chance to make enough growth for mint
sauce, groans. Any ideas as to what the problem may be, and a cure?
I am pretty confident that it is not slugs or snails, no sign of the
trails.

Emery Davis[_3_] 22-05-2014 10:28 AM

Mint problem

On Thu, 22 May 2014 09:50:19 +0100, Broadback wrote:

For years, like almost everyone, I would imagine,I have grown mint
successfully in pots. This year problems, the mint leaves are being
eaten before the plant has a chance to make enough growth for mint
sauce, groans. Any ideas as to what the problem may be, and a cure? I am
pretty confident that it is not slugs or snails, no sign of the trails.

Heh, before I saw the poster, I was going to reply: "if you can't grow
mint, time to give up on gardening!" :)

I've had caterpillars attack mint, rabbits will eat it too. There's
probably other culprits possible...

We eat a lot of peas w/ mint, (whether or not mushy), if you stick a
sprig in the boiling water it imparts a nice flavour. When you get some
more mint that is!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

indigo 22-05-2014 12:31 PM

Mint problem

On 22/05/2014 10:28, Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2014 09:50:19 +0100, Broadback wrote:

For years, like almost everyone, I would imagine,I have grown mint
successfully in pots. This year problems, the mint leaves are being
eaten before the plant has a chance to make enough growth for mint
sauce, groans. Any ideas as to what the problem may be, and a cure? I am
pretty confident that it is not slugs or snails, no sign of the trails.

Heh, before I saw the poster, I was going to reply: "if you can't grow
mint, time to give up on gardening!" :)

I've had caterpillars attack mint, rabbits will eat it too. There's
probably other culprits possible...

We eat a lot of peas w/ mint, (whether or not mushy), if you stick a
sprig in the boiling water it imparts a nice flavour. When you get some
more mint that is!

There are blue mint beetles that are now becoming more established in
the UK. Could these be the culprits?

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=768

--
Sue

Broadback[_3_] 22-05-2014 01:09 PM

Mint problem

On 22/05/2014 12:31, Indigo wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that Sue, I've had a look but no sign of the beetle, I will
keep looking periodically.

Bob Hobden 22-05-2014 04:27 PM

Mint problem

"Indigo" wrote

Emery Davis wrote:
Broadback wrote:

[...]

For goodness sake, mint beetles, allotment gardening is becoming more like a
war zone daily.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.