GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lack of fungacides (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209852-lack-fungacides.html)

David Hill 30-05-2014 09:34 PM

Lack of fungacides

I have noticed looking around the supermarkets, "Sheds" etc that there
are no fungicides available on the amateur market except Rose Clear.
So the amateur gardener who has problems such as Fuchsia Rust has
nothing to treat them with.
Or have I missed something?

Bob Hobden 30-05-2014 10:51 PM

Lack of fungacides

"David Hill" wrote

I have noticed looking around the supermarkets, "Sheds" etc that there are
no fungicides available on the amateur market except Rose Clear.
So the amateur gardener who has problems such as Fuchsia Rust has nothing
to treat them with.
Or have I missed something?

Difenoconazole is still available for amateur use on both ornamentals and
edibles, sold as Westland Plant Rescue Fungus Control. There are others for
ornamental use only as well, I've seen something from Bayer and Scotts.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

David Rance[_3_] 31-05-2014 01:00 PM

Lack of fungacides

On Sat, 31 May 2014 12:05:14 Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 30 May 2014 21:34:54 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I have noticed looking around the supermarkets, "Sheds" etc that there
are no fungicides available on the amateur market except Rose Clear.
So the amateur gardener who has problems such as Fuchsia Rust has
nothing to treat them with.
Or have I missed something?

I used to swear by Dithane 945 (Mancozeb) as being the only thing that
seemed to touch fungus diseases on various protaceae, but I see that
it's no longer available :-( . Fortunately I have a sachet or two
left, but no more than that. Still seems to work despite being a good
few years old.

I used Dithane mixed with Bordeaux Mixture to combat both downy and
powdery mildews on vines. I'm just going to have to hope that I don't
get powdery mildew.

David