Old 01-06-2014, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weeping Willow problem

I'm not a gardener by nature, whereas my wife is, but our willow tree
has what looks like a load of dried sap coming out of a spot on the
trunk about 4 feet off the ground, forming a small solid waterfall
effect, and there are several ants crawling around it. The waterfall is
about 4 inches in height.

Maybe it's an internal ant nest? If so, is it bad for the tree, and how
to treat it if it is?
Otherwise, I can't find what it is, so any help welcome.

Is there a good website to ID such problems? All that I have looked at
haven't helped.

--
Davey.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 14:18:54 +0100
Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 13:09:29 +0100, Davey
wrote:

I'm not a gardener by nature, whereas my wife is, but our willow tree
has what looks like a load of dried sap coming out of a spot on the
trunk about 4 feet off the ground, forming a small solid waterfall
effect, and there are several ants crawling around it. The waterfall
is about 4 inches in height.

Maybe it's an internal ant nest? If so, is it bad for the tree, and
how to treat it if it is?
Otherwise, I can't find what it is, so any help welcome.

Is there a good website to ID such problems? All that I have looked
at haven't helped.

A picture might help diagnosis. Don't post it directly here but to a
picture-hosting site such as tinypic http://www.tinypic.com/ and then
post a link here.

I doubt there's an ants' nest in there. Sounds like some sort of
canker, possibly cytospora, and the ants are just feeding on the sap
weeping from the lesion. I don't think there's a cure.

Yep, took a picture this morning, I'll post it on dropbox later today,
and I'll post the link here.
There is a small bulge above it, which might support the canker idea.

--
Davey.

Thanks for reply.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Here are links to the same pictu
https://www.dropbox.com/s/28t4o3qeaf4xcae/IMG_7735.JPG
for 2.5MB,
or:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ik568txpg...led_Willow.JPG
for 0.9MB file.

Thanks for help.

--
Davey.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I don't know what that white patch is. It's just possible it's some
sort of insect attack. It could be a mass of woolly aphid, in which
case a good insecticide spray should deal with them, although the waxy
coat can protect them. Alternatively, just blast them away with a
strong jet from a hose and repeat as necessary. See
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=724

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

We go along with Chris on the 'blast it with water'. We had a problem with
Aphids on a plum tree, a blast of water did the trick

Mike
South East coast of the Isle of Wight

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Hmm, could be. I'll look for a picture, that site doesn't show one.
Of course, the tree in question is as far from our hose tap as it is
possible to get, it will be a bit if a stretch to get there.
I can find plenty of pictures of the aphid, but not what it does to the
tree!

Thanks.

--
Davey.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

It's certainly some aphid-like creature. Yesterday, we gave it a good
hosing, but the little blighters were soon back, and today they have
already made up some of the white stuff again.
Stage 2 will be some kind of insecticide, I think.

--
Davey.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 11:59:14 PM UTC+1, Davey wrote:
Stage 2 will be some kind of insecticide, I think.

Me. I'd leave them. They won't harm the tree, and they might provide food for birds.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/06/2014 23:59, Davey wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Stiff brush with meths on will get them in a small area but you have to
do it s few times in quick succession and the two weeks apart.

Is the white stuff woolly looking when dry?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 04-06-2014, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 13:09:22 +0100
Martin Brown wrote:

Is the white stuff woolly looking when dry?

I suppose so, but it's not how I would have described it myself. I
thought at first that it was sap leaking out and drying.

--
Davey.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

Is the white stuff woolly looking when dry?

I suppose so, but it's not how I would have described it myself. I
thought at first that it was sap leaking out and drying.

It could be either. Woolly aphid is a strong contender for the sort of
weeping wound with white fluff that you showed in your picture.

Basically wet some out with meths and if it is insect based you should
see the little blighters lurking in the cracks.

Sap in a willow is likely to be strong so it will come out. It is
unlikely to harm such a vigorous growing plant though. My parents have a
old apple tree that is a martyr to woolly aphid and I have never managed
to nuke it into submission it always reappears. Tree survives OK but it
would probably fruit better if the pest was cleared.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 04-06-2014, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 16:11:16 +0100
Martin Brown wrote:

It could be either. Woolly aphid is a strong contender for the sort
of weeping wound with white fluff that you showed in your picture.

Basically wet some out with meths and if it is insect based you
should see the little blighters lurking in the cracks.

Sap in a willow is likely to be strong so it will come out. It is
unlikely to harm such a vigorous growing plant though. My parents
have a old apple tree that is a martyr to woolly aphid and I have
never managed to nuke it into submission it always reappears. Tree
survives OK but it would probably fruit better if the pest was
cleared.

They are certainly aphid-like critters, but they have brown bodies,
unlike the woolly ones I saw on the web. Whatever they are, they were
very quick to reclaim their property. There were also some small
caterpillar-like things, larger than the aphids, black with
orange spots, which could either have been 'Queens' or some other insect
entirely. They seem to have gone, though, which is good.
The tree has been looking sad this year, which is why we went looking
for critters.

--
Davey.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 21:45:25 +0100
Chris Hogg wrote:

There were also some small
caterpillar-like things, larger than the aphids, black with
orange spots, which could either have been 'Queens' or some other
insect entirely. They seem to have gone, though, which is good.

Like these: http://tinyurl.com/pq24fxa ? In which case they're
ladybird larvae. They are aggressive predators of greenfly and other
aphids and are probably doing you a favour by eating whatever the
other things are, so don't get rid of them, although some 'collateral
damage' may be inevitable.

Actually: No. Smoother than those. If they are there again tomorrow,
I'll take a picture. There is one in the photo I posted, but you can't
see any detail at all. I think I'll need to go to macro on the camera.

--
Davey.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davey" wrote in message
I'm not a gardener by nature, whereas my wife is, but our willow tree
has what looks like a load of dried sap coming out of a spot on the
trunk about 4 feet off the ground, forming a small solid waterfall
effect, and there are several ants crawling around it. The waterfall is
about 4 inches in height.

Maybe it's an internal ant nest? If so, is it bad for the tree, and how
to treat it if it is?
Otherwise, I can't find what it is, so any help welcome.

Is there a good website to ID such problems? All that I have looked at
haven't helped.

--
Davey.

I hope you are successful in identifying and solving this. You'll get good
advice from the folk hereabouts.
Sadly, I lost a magnificent weeping willow as a result of flooding and high
winds earlier this year.

The dear old thing did go out with some style.
Its foundations, weakened by very high water, succumbed to high winds and
toppled over.
On the journey it demolished 2 walls, a street light, a flagpole, several
smaller trees and part of the roof of a building across the flooded lane. It
blocked the lane for 3 days.
Clearance was finished a couple of weeks later with the assistance of some
excellent tree surgeons and a 170T crane.
The tree was measured at 108ft high. After removing the small bits, they
reckon the big bits amounted to about 23 tons.
The root ball, which fell back to soggy earth, was measured at 10ft dia. The
bole is a bit over 4ft dia.
This has started to shoot again. I don't know whether to leave it or not. It
can never have its old and good footing.
Have posted some pics here. Possibly.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n1py0n0db...1sAk1px03_AgIa

Good luck,
Nick.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 23:43:36 +0100
"Nick" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the thoughts. This one is nothing like as big as that, but I
do remember bringing it home standing upright and poking out through
the car's sunroof. I certainly couldn't do that now.

--
Davey.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

A very good rule of thumb is fast moving or with an aphid in its jaws is
a friend and slow moving or with a plant in its jaws is a foe.

My guess would be ladybird larvae which are partial to aphids.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ae&FORM =IGRE

The tree has been looking sad this year, which is why we went looking
for critters.

Surprised that they can do enough damage to make a difference to such a
vigorous tree. Hitting it with a systemic insecticide and alternating
with a knockdown and/or stiff brush with meths will control it, but on a
large tree you are unlikely to ever get rid of it entirely.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

weeping willow problem Larry Gardening 1 13-04-2005 03:42 AM
Weeping Willow Problem Graham Dixon United Kingdom 1 13-06-2004 06:05 PM
Weeping Willow Problem dixie Texas 6 18-04-2003 03:44 PM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM