GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seed Mix Up (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209884-seed-mix-up.html)

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 02-06-2014 10:32 PM

Seed Mix Up

Oh dear, somehow I put two of the unmarked little packets of
seeds back into one packet. I know the seeds are January King
Cabbage and Curly Kale, but how to identify which is which?

Only obvios difference is that one lot is very dark and
consistently so, where as the other has several lighter brown
seeds in it and is generally more inconsistent in colour.

Can any one give guidance, or should I just dump them all and
start again next year?

Thanks

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

indigo 03-06-2014 01:53 AM

Seed Mix Up

On 02/06/2014 22:32, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Oh dear, somehow I put two of the unmarked little packets of
seeds back into one packet. I know the seeds are January King
Cabbage and Curly Kale, but how to identify which is which?

Only obvios difference is that one lot is very dark and
consistently so, where as the other has several lighter brown
seeds in it and is generally more inconsistent in colour.

Can any one give guidance, or should I just dump them all and
start again next year?

I take it you've sown what you need for this year and just want to store
the rest of the seed.

Could you germinate just a few from each small packet in separate pots,
labelling packs and pots e.g. A and B, then grow on until you can
identify one from t'other?

--
Sue

Jay.C 03-06-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin[_2_] (Post 1002899)
Oh dear, somehow I put two of the unmarked little packets of
seeds back into one packet. I know the seeds are January King
Cabbage and Curly Kale, but how to identify which is which?

Only obvios difference is that one lot is very dark and
consistently so, where as the other has several lighter brown
seeds in it and is generally more inconsistent in colour.

Can any one give guidance, or should I just dump them all and
start again next year?

Thanks

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Hi, Kale seeds are normally really dark as cabbage are a palish brown, hope this helps.

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 03-06-2014 08:25 PM

Seed Mix Up

In article , Jay.C.e033148
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

'Roger Tonkin[_2_ Wrote:
;1002899']Oh dear, somehow I put two of the unmarked little packets of
seeds back into one packet. I know the seeds are January King
Cabbage and Curly Kale, but how to identify which is which?

Only obvios difference is that one lot is very dark and
consistently so, where as the other has several lighter brown
seeds in it and is generally more inconsistent in colour.

Can any one give guidance, or should I just dump them all and
start again next year?

Thanks

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Hi, Kale seeds are normally really dark as cabbage are a palish brown,
hope this helps.

Thanks Jay, that is a help, as I need to sow more Cabbage, but
have plenty of Kale plants, no time to experiment!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales