Old 06-06-2014, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Primrose

I have some primrose in small bed at the front of the house. Now that
they have finished flowering is it ok to dig them up and either pot them
up to replant later, or plant them somewhere else until needed for
planting elsewhere ?
--
Bill P.
Shildon
Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 09:30:17 +0100, Bill P wrote:

I have some primrose in small bed at the front of the house. Now that
they have finished flowering is it ok to dig them up and either pot them
up to replant later, or plant them somewhere else until needed for
planting elsewhere ?

If they are old enough it should'nt harm them at all.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2014 09:50, Judith in England wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 09:30:17 +0100, Bill P wrote:

I have some primrose in small bed at the front of the house. Now that
they have finished flowering is it ok to dig them up and either pot them
up to replant later, or plant them somewhere else until needed for
planting elsewhere ?

If they are old enough it should'nt harm them at all.

In my youth in the 60's I worked for the local parks dept, at this time
of year we would lift the polyanthus and divide them, then replant then
in a shaded bed out of sight of the public, so that they could grow on
ready to be lifted again in the autumn and planted in the winter bedding
schemes.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2014 10:00, David Hill wrote:
On 06/06/2014 09:50, Judith in England wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 09:30:17 +0100, Bill P wrote:

I have some primrose in small bed at the front of the house. Now that
they have finished flowering is it ok to dig them up and either pot them
up to replant later, or plant them somewhere else until needed for
planting elsewhere ?

If they are old enough it should'nt harm them at all.

In my youth in the 60's I worked for the local parks dept, at this time
of year we would lift the polyanthus and divide them, then replant then
in a shaded bed out of sight of the public, so that they could grow on
ready to be lifted again in the autumn and planted in the winter bedding
schemes.

Thanks David that is spot on.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2014 09:50, Judith in England wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 09:30:17 +0100, Bill P wrote:

I have some primrose in small bed at the front of the house. Now that
they have finished flowering is it ok to dig them up and either pot them
up to replant later, or plant them somewhere else until needed for
planting elsewhere ?

If they are old enough it should'nt harm them at all.

Thank you Judith. They were bought a s plants last year.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2014 09:30, Bill P wrote:
I have some primrose in small bed at the front of the house. Now that
they have finished flowering is it ok to dig them up and either pot them
up to replant later, or plant them somewhere else until needed for
planting elsewhere ?

Perfectly okay, but plant in shade if you can and keep them
well-watered. It is worth knowing that primulas in general grow in
cycles: root growth first, then top growth ... root growth, top growth.
I mention this because your primroses may collapse when first planted,
simply because they're growing below ground to start with.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 07-06-2014, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2014 12:26, Spider wrote:
On 06/06/2014 09:30, Bill P wrote:
I have some primrose in small bed at the front of the house. Now that
they have finished flowering is it ok to dig them up and either pot them
up to replant later, or plant them somewhere else until needed for
planting elsewhere ?

Perfectly okay, but plant in shade if you can and keep them
well-watered. It is worth knowing that primulas in general grow in
cycles: root growth first, then top growth ... root growth, top growth.
I mention this because your primroses may collapse when first planted,
simply because they're growing below ground to start with.

Thanks Spider, I have just the spot for them only trouble is it is
raining again. We get a sunny hot day followed two three days of rain.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/06/2014 12:24, Bill P wrote:
On 06/06/2014 12:26, Spider wrote:
On 06/06/2014 09:30, Bill P wrote:
I have some primrose in small bed at the front of the house. Now that
they have finished flowering is it ok to dig them up and either pot them
up to replant later, or plant them somewhere else until needed for
planting elsewhere ?

Perfectly okay, but plant in shade if you can and keep them
well-watered. It is worth knowing that primulas in general grow in
cycles: root growth first, then top growth ... root growth, top growth.
I mention this because your primroses may collapse when first planted,
simply because they're growing below ground to start with.

Thanks Spider, I have just the spot for them only trouble is it is
raining again. We get a sunny hot day followed two three days of rain.

Ideal for transplanting.

Q. Where can I get evening primrose flower heads dennis Gardening 2 02-04-2003 08:44 AM
where can I get evening primrose flowers Tsu Dho Nimh Gardening 9 25-03-2003 11:20 PM
evening primrose dennis Gardening 2 22-03-2003 08:56 AM
Primrose Amanda McClelland Gardening 4 28-02-2003 05:28 AM
germinating primula/primrose Erin & Steve Gardening 1 17-02-2003 02:03 AM