Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horseradish

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer
Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Yes to rampant spreader, it is best planted in someone else garden!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote:

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

As Charlie said, thug. Having said that, I've kept it more or less
confined to an 8-foot square in the garden, which provides enough fresh
roots to have people threaten to report me as a toxic waste site!

Old 07-06-2014, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/06/2014 21:15, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Mmm .. great stuff! I doubt it will ever take over the world, despite
its WMD status, but it is a tasty thug best confined to a large pot.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 21:35:34 +0100
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret
letting loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps
in a large buried pot)?

Janer

Yes to rampant spreader, it is best planted in someone else garden!

Surely you can't have too much horseradish?

--
Davey.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

On 07/06/2014 21:15, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Mmm .. great stuff! I doubt it will ever take over the world, despite
its WMD status, but it is a tasty thug best confined to a large pot.

I stopped growing it the day I lifted a root and grated it to make a
sauce to accompany a roast joint of beef.

Never, ever again. It makes onions benign in comparison. People who
grow this stuff should be reported as an environmental hazard!

Peter
--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential
Old 08-06-2014, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/06/2014 07:59, Peter James wrote:
Spider wrote:

On 07/06/2014 21:15, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Mmm .. great stuff! I doubt it will ever take over the world, despite
its WMD status, but it is a tasty thug best confined to a large pot.

I stopped growing it the day I lifted a root and grated it to make a
sauce to accompany a roast joint of beef.

Never, ever again. It makes onions benign in comparison. People who
grow this stuff should be reported as an environmental hazard!

Peter

I remember grated horseradish being on the table in a German restaurant.
My mate thought it was cheese and decided a sandwich would be nice.....
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 21:15:26 +0100, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Get into the habit of eating the leaf as well as the root and you
won't be able to grow enough!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 08-06-2014, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote:

Do you harvest it just as and when you want some, or at some particular
time of year?

Best when dormant, spring or fall, but I don't think a slight reduction in
strength would matter much.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

On 07/06/2014 21:15, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Mmm .. great stuff! I doubt it will ever take over the world, despite
its WMD status, but it is a tasty thug best confined to a large pot.

I stopped growing it the day I lifted a root and grated it to make a
sauce to accompany a roast joint of beef.

Never, ever again. It makes onions benign in comparison. People who
grow this stuff should be reported as an environmental hazard!

Peter

LOL! You forgot the eye protection, did you?! It's good for clearing
out the sinus, though ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 08-06-2014, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

[...]

Er... it doesn't *smell* a lot like cheese. Mind you, he'll probably
never know now. His nose, eyes and taste buds will be certifiably
uselesss. Poor man!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 08:45 AM
Horseradish again karen United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 08:56 PM
Help, re horseradish karen United Kingdom 7 06-05-2003 11:20 PM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 03-03-2003 11:42 PM