Old 08-06-2014, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garlic!

What a disaster this year, it's the worst garlic we have ever grown, small
and it's all re-sprouting despite the tops only just going over. There will
be enough for us (we hope) but the friends and neighbours can forget it this
year.
Presume it was the terrible wet winter, ground is still saturated, which did
most of the damage as they looked very unwell during the floods (although
they weren't flooded but the water table was so high). The very mild winter
with no cold snap can't have helped.
Ho hum, there is always next season!

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 08-06-2014, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
What a disaster this year, it's the worst garlic we have ever grown, small
and it's all re-sprouting despite the tops only just going over. There
will be enough for us (we hope) but the friends and neighbours can forget
it this year.
Presume it was the terrible wet winter, ground is still saturated, which
did most of the damage as they looked very unwell during the floods
(although they weren't flooded but the water table was so high). The very
mild winter with no cold snap can't have helped.
Ho hum, there is always next season!

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Mine have rust and are re-sprouting! Are they salvageable? should we dig
them and try and dry them?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 08-06-2014, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote
What a disaster this year, it's the worst garlic we have ever grown,
small and it's all re-sprouting despite the tops only just going over.
There will be enough for us (we hope) but the friends and neighbours can
forget it this year.
Presume it was the terrible wet winter, ground is still saturated, which
did most of the damage as they looked very unwell during the floods
(although they weren't flooded but the water table was so high). The very
mild winter with no cold snap can't have helped.
Ho hum, there is always next season!

Mine have rust and are re-sprouting! Are they salvageable? should we dig
them and try and dry them?

Ours had dreadful Rust too, seems to be the norm these days but it usually
does not affect the crop unless the plants get it very early. We dug all
ours up today and they are out on the plot on wire racks to dry off, they
have two chances but looking at them I'm not hopeful as they all seem to be
resprouting. Normally one of our better crops but not this year.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/06/2014 22:53, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Charlie Pridham" wrote ...

Mine have rust and are re-sprouting! Are they salvageable? should we
dig them and try and dry them?

Ours had dreadful Rust too, seems to be the norm these days but it
usually does not affect the crop unless the plants get it very early.
We dug all ours up today and they are out on the plot on wire racks to
dry off, they have two chances but looking at them I'm not hopeful as
they all seem to be resprouting. Normally one of our better crops but
not this year.

I think mine are ok so far - they went in quite late last winter. They
are still completely green and healthy looking, although I haven't
looked underground yet. I guess the stems are probably about 12-18
inches tall and around 3/4 inch diameter. That said, I'm useless at
guesstimating sizes. The key thing, I guess is that it is all still
very green.

On a raised bed, grown from what I think were Pyrenean purple bulbs
(from a deli). These worked very well last year too.

--
regards andy

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 12:31 PM
Speaking of garlic... John S. DeBoo Edible Gardening 4 29-05-2003 11:20 PM
Elphant Garlic Bill Edible Gardening 11 29-05-2003 06:20 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 03:33 AM
Does garlic set seed? Robert cubitt United Kingdom 2 20-10-2002 10:39 PM