Old 18-06-2014, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Removing cherry trees

Hi,

I have two 12 years old cherry trees (+- 3 meters tall) that I am thinking on replacing. In these 12 years, I think I have eaten in total maybe 10 cherries

My idea is to replace them with other fruit trees, but I am wondering how hard will be to remove them. Are the roots deep? If I decide to remove them, can I plant other trees in the same spot?

Thanks in advance.

PA
Old 18-06-2014, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"P. Alves" wrote
I have two 12 years old cherry trees (+- 3 meters tall) that I am thinking
on replacing. In these 12 years, I think I have eaten in total maybe 10
cherries

My idea is to replace them with other fruit trees, but I am wondering how
hard will be to remove them. Are the roots deep? If I decide to remove
them, can I plant other trees in the same spot?

Thanks in advance.

Why no fruit? Do you have late frosts every year where you are or do you not
cover the trees with netting to stop the birds eating the fruit.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-06-2014, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Birds. I honestly do not mind sharing the fruit, but the dam birds eat all of them. Also the strong winds often destroy part of of the fruits.

Thanks
Old 18-06-2014, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/06/2014 21:12, P. Alves wrote:
Birds. I honestly do not mind sharing the fruit, but the dam birds eat all of them. Also the strong winds often destroy part of of the fruits.

Thanks

If you do decide to get rid of them , you may find a local wood turner
would welcome the wood.
Old 18-06-2014, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"P. Alves" wrote ...

Birds. I honestly do not mind sharing the fruit, but the dam birds eat all
of them. Also the strong winds often destroy part of of the fruits.

Why not cover the trees in netting, as most people do with cherries, to stop
the birds, it would be a lot cheaper then getting new fruit trees and
waiting for them to fruit. We have a fruit cage over our 4 cherry trees and
I prune the trees to ensure they remain within the cage. The RHS at Wisley
cover their cherry trees in netting. Unfortunately we do have a problem with
mice climbing the trees but in a normal year we do get a decent crop of
cherries. Not this year as because of the mild wet winter the trees flowered
so early there were not many pollinating insects about.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-06-2014, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/06/2014 23:14, Bob Hobden wrote:
"P. Alves" wrote ...

Birds. I honestly do not mind sharing the fruit, but the dam birds eat
all of them. Also the strong winds often destroy part of of the fruits.

Why not cover the trees in netting, as most people do with cherries, to
stop the birds, it would be a lot cheaper then getting new fruit trees
and waiting for them to fruit. We have a fruit cage over our 4 cherry
trees and I prune the trees to ensure they remain within the cage. The
RHS at Wisley cover their cherry trees in netting. Unfortunately we do
have a problem with mice climbing the trees but in a normal year we do
get a decent crop of cherries. Not this year as because of the mild wet
winter the trees flowered so early there were not many pollinating
insects about.

That explains the poor crop on my giant cherry tree, last year there
were so many it was impossible to use them all, this year I doubt if
there were ten percent of last year, and I scarcely got any. The tree
is too big to net without a crane.
Old 22-06-2014, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/06/2014 23:14, Bob Hobden wrote:
Unfortunately we do have a problem with mice climbing the trees

fx thinks

Greaseband? You'd presumably need something a bit thicker than the
codling moth type.

Andy
Old 22-06-2014, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/06/2014 21:39, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 18/06/2014 23:14, Bob Hobden wrote:
Unfortunately we do have a problem with mice climbing the trees

fx thinks

Greaseband? You'd presumably need something a bit thicker than the
codling moth type.

Andy

Try Mouse glue
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mo...1024& bih=449
Old 22-06-2014, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Vir Campestris wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
Unfortunately we do have a problem with mice climbing the trees

fx thinks

Greaseband? You'd presumably need something a bit thicker than the
codling moth type.

Try Mouse glue
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mo...1024& bih=449

Whilst I don't like what mice do I think that method of control rather
cruel, what do you do with a live but stuck mouse?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-06-2014, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Glue is not an option.

I do not particularly fancy putting a net over the trees, but I will try next season and will take it from there.

One of my friends wants the trees. This will be a better option rather than killing it, but I am guessing it will be really hard to dig them. Any suggestion?

Thanks

Old 23-06-2014, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2014 15:20, P. Alves wrote:
Glue is not an option.

I do not particularly fancy putting a net over the trees, but I will try next season and will take it from there.

One of my friends wants the trees. This will be a better option rather than killing it, but I am guessing it will be really hard to dig them. Any suggestion?

Thanks

I wouldn't even think about moving 12 year old fruit trees without
professional equipment that would cost more than the trees are worth,
pandas they haven't been grown with moving in mind I would give them
less than a 10% chance of surviving.
Old 24-06-2014, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 23/06/2014 15:20, P. Alves wrote:
Glue is not an option.

I do not particularly fancy putting a net over the trees, but I will try next season and will take it from there.

One of my friends wants the trees. This will be a better option rather than killing it, but I am guessing it will be really hard to dig them. Any suggestion?

Thanks

I wouldn't even think about moving 12 year old fruit trees without
professional equipment that would cost more than the trees are worth,
pandas they haven't been grown with moving in mind I would give them
less than a 10% chance of surviving.

I agree. If you abandon the notion of removing them to regrow,
just getting them out is so much simpler. Cut the trunks at a height of
3 ft; so you can use it as a lever. Then dig out/pickaxe loose the soil
in a circle about 18 " around the trunk. Then use an axe and saw to
sever all the roots you can see, and use the lever to rock the rootball
over to cut them underneath. Go all the way round doing the same until
the rootball is freed loose, and you can drag /lift it out of the hole.
This way, you leave most of the roots underground where they will
die.. no need to go to the labour of digging them all out.

Janet
Old 24-06-2014, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/06/2014 13:23, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

[...]

I hate to disagree with you Janet but I'd cut them off at about 6 to 7
ft a much better lever, 3ft would kill my back
Old 15-07-2014, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 22:42:03 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"David Hill" wrote

Vir Campestris wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
Unfortunately we do have a problem with mice climbing the trees

fx thinks

Greaseband? You'd presumably need something a bit thicker than the
codling moth type.

Try Mouse glue
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mo...1024& bih=449

Whilst I don't like what mice do I think that method of control rather
cruel, what do you do with a live but stuck mouse?

The DIY shops around here sell a product called Gorilla glue, some
people must have real problems.

G.Harman