GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trimming heather (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/210032-trimming-heather.html)

Another John 18-06-2014 06:15 PM

Trimming heather

I do the garden for an elderly neighbour. She has a large patch of
heather which put on a jolly good show this year. However now the
flowers have died: what do I do with them? Should I just trim the
bushes by a few inches, or what? All the bushes in this rather old
heather patch are pretty old and unkempt.

Cheers
John

Another John 18-06-2014 10:19 PM

Trimming heather

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

If they've just finished flowering, it sounds as if they were a
variety of Irish heath, Erica erigena (older names: E. mediterranea,
E. hibernica), or possibly a variety of Erica x darlyensis (E. erigena
x E. carnea).

Heathers should be trimmed after flowering.... etc

Fantastic answer - very useful Chris: thank you!

John

Derek Turner 19-06-2014 10:41 AM

Trimming heather

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 18:15:01 +0100, Another John wrote:

I do the garden for an elderly neighbour. She has a large patch of
heather which put on a jolly good show this year. However now the
flowers have died: what do I do with them? Should I just trim the
bushes by a few inches, or what? All the bushes in this rather old
heather patch are pretty old and unkempt.

Cheers John

The traditional way of regenerating heather is to burn it.