Old 25-06-2014, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant ids please

Anyone any idea what these are? Unless they're suitable for a small and
shady front garden I think they might have to go. Thanks for any advice

http://tinypic.com/r/2lml8k1/8

Old 25-06-2014, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2014 12:21, stuart noble wrote:
Anyone any idea what these are? Unless they're suitable for a small and
shady front garden I think they might have to go. Thanks for any advice

http://tinypic.com/r/2lml8k1/8

For whatever reason, I can get Tinypic with ads, but not your pictures.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 25-06-2014, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2014 12:43, Spider wrote:
On 25/06/2014 12:21, stuart noble wrote:
Anyone any idea what these are? Unless they're suitable for a small and
shady front garden I think they might have to go. Thanks for any advice

http://tinypic.com/r/2lml8k1/8

For whatever reason, I can get Tinypic with ads, but not your pictures.

I can never remember the precise format for Tinypic on here, but this
might work

http://i57.tinypic.com/2lml8k1.jpg

Old 25-06-2014, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2014 12:43, Spider wrote:
On 25/06/2014 12:21, stuart noble wrote:
Anyone any idea what these are? Unless they're suitable for a small and
shady front garden I think they might have to go. Thanks for any advice

http://tinypic.com/r/2lml8k1/8

For whatever reason, I can get Tinypic with ads, but not your pictures.

If you're using Firefox with NoScript, you will have to allow tinypic.com.

--

Jeff
Old 25-06-2014, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2014 12:21, stuart noble wrote:
Anyone any idea what these are? Unless they're suitable for a small and
shady front garden I think they might have to go. Thanks for any advice

http://tinypic.com/r/2lml8k1/8

First thoughts re right hand picture it could be a peris but you should
have seen red young leaves and flowers rather like Lily of the Valley
The left havd one could be one of several, I'd leave it to grow on, poss
thin out a few of the shoots.
David @ a still dry side of Swansea bay

Old 25-06-2014, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2014 15:22, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 25/06/2014 12:43, Spider wrote:
On 25/06/2014 12:21, stuart noble wrote:
Anyone any idea what these are? Unless they're suitable for a small and
shady front garden I think they might have to go. Thanks for any advice

http://tinypic.com/r/2lml8k1/8

For whatever reason, I can get Tinypic with ads, but not your pictures.

If you're using Firefox with NoScript, you will have to allow
tinypic.com.

Thanks, Jeff, but in truth, I'm using whatever Husband Thingy set up on
my laptop. However, Stuart has come back with another link which works
for me. Ta v much, tho.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 25-06-2014, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2014 13:24, stuart noble wrote:
On 25/06/2014 12:43, Spider wrote:
On 25/06/2014 12:21, stuart noble wrote:
Anyone any idea what these are? Unless they're suitable for a small and
shady front garden I think they might have to go. Thanks for any advice

http://tinypic.com/r/2lml8k1/8

For whatever reason, I can get Tinypic with ads, but not your pictures.

I can never remember the precise format for Tinypic on here, but this
might work

http://i57.tinypic.com/2lml8k1.jpg

Thanks for that, Stuart, I can see them now.
One looks as if it might be Pieris, an acid-loving evergreen.
The other *could* be Deutzia or a number of things, esp since I've never
known Deutzia to seed around .. or produce viable seed at all.

Wait and see what they do, then perhaps take more pics.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-06-2014, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2014 21:53, David Hill wrote:
On 25/06/2014 12:21, stuart noble wrote:
Anyone any idea what these are? Unless they're suitable for a small and
shady front garden I think they might have to go. Thanks for any advice

http://tinypic.com/r/2lml8k1/8

First thoughts re right hand picture it could be a peris but you should
have seen red young leaves and flowers rather like Lily of the Valley
The left havd one could be one of several, I'd leave it to grow on, poss
thin out a few of the shoots.
David @ a still dry side of Swansea bay

Thanks. I'll take your advice (as usual). The occupants are relatively
new to the house so we don't quite know what's what yet
Old 26-06-2014, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2014 22:38, Spider wrote:
On 25/06/2014 13:24, stuart noble wrote:
On 25/06/2014 12:43, Spider wrote:
On 25/06/2014 12:21, stuart noble wrote:
Anyone any idea what these are? Unless they're suitable for a small and
shady front garden I think they might have to go. Thanks for any advice

http://tinypic.com/r/2lml8k1/8

For whatever reason, I can get Tinypic with ads, but not your pictures.

I can never remember the precise format for Tinypic on here, but this
might work

http://i57.tinypic.com/2lml8k1.jpg

Thanks for that, Stuart, I can see them now.
One looks as if it might be Pieris, an acid-loving evergreen.
The other *could* be Deutzia or a number of things, esp since I've never
known Deutzia to seed around .. or produce viable seed at all.

Wait and see what they do, then perhaps take more pics.

Thanks Spider. A stay of execution for both then!
Old 26-06-2014, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2014 08:30, stuart noble wrote:
On 25/06/2014 21:53, David Hill wrote:
On 25/06/2014 12:21, stuart noble wrote:
Anyone any idea what these are? Unless they're suitable for a small and
shady front garden I think they might have to go. Thanks for any advice

http://tinypic.com/r/2lml8k1/8

First thoughts re right hand picture it could be a peris but you should
have seen red young leaves and flowers rather like Lily of the Valley
The left havd one could be one of several, I'd leave it to grow on, poss
thin out a few of the shoots.
David @ a still dry side of Swansea bay

Thanks. I'll take your advice (as usual). The occupants are relatively
new to the house so we don't quite know what's what yet

It looks to me as if the left hand one has been cut down and is
regrowing from the stump, hence all the shoots.

Old 26-06-2014, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-26 07:30:01 +0000, stuart noble said:

On 25/06/2014 21:53, David Hill wrote:
On 25/06/2014 12:21, stuart noble wrote:
Anyone any idea what these are? Unless they're suitable for a small and
shady front garden I think they might have to go. Thanks for any advice

http://tinypic.com/r/2lml8k1/8

First thoughts re right hand picture it could be a peris but you should
have seen red young leaves and flowers rather like Lily of the Valley
The left havd one could be one of several, I'd leave it to grow on, poss
thin out a few of the shoots.
David @ a still dry side of Swansea bay

Thanks. I'll take your advice (as usual). The occupants are relatively
new to the house so we don't quite know what's what yet

Always best to wait a year before dealing death and destruction in a
garden! I agree with the Pieris but could the other plant be a Weigela
or even a shrubby Lonicera, I wonder. It certainly doesn't look like
an undesirable.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-06-2014, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-26 07:30:01 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

I think Philadelphus rather than weigelia

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 26-06-2014, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-26 07:30:01 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

I'm undecided between Philadelphus and Deutzia
Some stems the leaves are uniformly opposite all the way along the stem
like a Deutzia, whilst on other stems the pairs of leaves alternate like
a Philadelphus.
Confusing.
Old 26-06-2014, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-26 07:30:01 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

I noticed today that the leaves are decidedly rough to the touch. Don't
know if that helps at all
Old 26-06-2014, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-26 07:30:01 +0000, stuart noble said:

[...]

Main thing is that I now know to leave it for a bit and see if we get
any flowers. Thanks everybody. Much appreciated

Plant IDs please mark United Kingdom 6 23-07-2013 09:21 PM
Plant IDs needed please David56802 United Kingdom 9 12-04-2012 10:39 AM
Plant IDs - please janka Plant Science 6 27-01-2007 04:58 PM
Two plant IDs please Sacha United Kingdom 6 19-11-2006 11:50 PM
Plant IDs please - worrisit ? adm United Kingdom 37 07-06-2006 05:12 PM