GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   radishes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/210095-radishes.html)

[email protected] 26-06-2014 12:41 PM

radishes

why do my radishes only grow leaves, no radishes?

Judith in England 26-06-2014 01:09 PM

radishes

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 04:41:07 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

why do my radishes only grow leaves, no radishes?

Interesting question which I myself have been wondering about.

The foliage is great - but the radishes have not really swelled out much at
all.

I have mine in a raised bed next to some leeks. I have been feeding the leaks
with seaweed extract and I am guessing that this is good for the radish leaves
- but not so beneficial for the roots.

Do other people normally feed their radishes in anyway?

Emery Davis[_3_] 26-06-2014 07:22 PM

radishes

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 04:41:07 -0700, jeremy.sellars wrote:

why do my radishes only grow leaves, no radishes?

Don't know the answer, but the leaves make an excellent soup.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

David Hill 26-06-2014 07:49 PM

radishes

On 26/06/2014 19:22, Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 04:41:07 -0700, jeremy.sellars wrote:

why do my radishes only grow leaves, no radishes?

Don't know the answer, but the leaves make an excellent soup.

Also cook as spinach.

I would be inclined to wonder if the radish were sown to thick, they do
like a bit of space otherwise they fight for the light rather than
fattening up.
In the old days we would prepare the greenhouses ready to plant tomatoes
then broadcast Radish seed, rake it in and plant the tomato plants.
The radish would cover the cost of weeding and leave a profit as well.
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay

news 02-07-2014 12:42 PM

radishes

On 26/06/2014 13:09, Judith in England wrote:

I have mine in a raised bed next to some leeks. I have been feeding the leaks
with seaweed extract and I am guessing that this is good for the radish leaves
- but not so beneficial for the roots.

Sounds like too much nocturnal watering:)

--
regards andy