Old 29-06-2014, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wheat seed?

I want to grow some wheat to make my own bread. Where can I buy the seed?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 29-06-2014, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2014 14:48, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I want to grow some wheat to make my own bread. Where can I buy the seed?

Hugh

Most seed merchants probably sell it in quantities too large to be
useful to you, but there are exceptions, e.g.

http://www.kingsseeds.com/kolist45/1/True/1/AG3.htm

You can google wheat seed site:uk - that should find you some more.

Some more pointers can be found at

http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/bake_your_lawn

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-06-2014, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart, thanks for that. There's lots on Google if only I'd started there!

Hugh
Old 29-06-2014, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2014 16:28, Hugh Newbury wrote:
Stewart, thanks for that. There's lots on Google if only I'd started there!

Hugh

Just remember that not all varieties will make good bread.
Old 29-06-2014, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2014 16:50, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 14:48:32 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

I want to grow some wheat to make my own bread. Where can I buy the seed?

Hugh

How many acres to the loaf? Or to put it another way, won't you have
to grow quite a lot to get enough grain for just one loaf?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1222446AA3wnmY

Old 29-06-2014, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I want to grow some wheat to make my own bread. Where can I buy the
seed?

Hugh

How many acres to the loaf? Or to put it another way, won't you have
to grow quite a lot to get enough grain for just one loaf?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1222446AA3wnmY

I discover that milling is difficult and/or expensive. So maybe I'll
keep using the village bakery!

But thanks all.

Hugh

Old 29-06-2014, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I want to grow some wheat to make my own bread. Where can I buy the
seed?

Hugh

How many acres to the loaf? Or to put it another way, won't you have
to grow quite a lot to get enough grain for just one loaf?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1222446AA3wnmY

I discover that milling is difficult and/or expensive. So maybe I'll
keep using the village bakery!

But thanks all.

Hugh

What difference between using a food processor to reduce it to near dust
and grinding?
Old 29-06-2014, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

It was primitive women who did the grinding. The men were out all day hunting
and gathering.

So who was sowing and harvesting those grain crops?

Janet

Old 30-06-2014, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

It was primitive women who did the grinding. The men were out all day hunting
and gathering.

So who was sowing and harvesting those grain crops?

The women? :-)

Who cleared land of stones and trees and cultivated the soil fine
enough to sow the grain in?

In Britain, that's a damn good question - see Rackham and others.
My personal speculation is that it was normally done by neither
sex, but by ring-barking and intensive grazing. In most areas,
that will convert woodland to grassland in under a century, and
grassland is easy to convert to cultivation.

In parts of the third world nothing has changed.

In this country, hunter-gathering (found food) preceded agriculture
(the clearing of forest to create grazing, breeding/tending livestock,
cultivating soil to grow crops).

Yup. By a LONG way. Homo sapiens is one of two current land mammals
that has been here longest (tens of thousands of years). Clearing
the woodland didn't start until c. 3,000 BC.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-06-2014, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/06/2014 13:13, Janet wrote:
In article ,
lid says...

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 23:52:22 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

It was primitive women who did the grinding. The men were out all day hunting
and gathering.

So who was sowing and harvesting those grain crops?

The women? :-)

Who cleared land of stones and trees and cultivated the soil fine
enough to sow the grain in?

In parts of the third world nothing has changed.

In this country, hunter-gathering (found food) preceded agriculture
(the clearing of forest to create grazing, breeding/tending livestock,
cultivating soil to grow crops).

Janet.

What country are you talking about?
Slash and burn was not a common practice in Europe as it is a method
used mainly by nomadic people who move on every 2 or 3 years.
In the UK forests were not cleared for agriculture, it was the need for
Oak for sailing ships from the 16th century onwards.
Forests were about the only source of fuel that people had.
for thousands of years people just gathered the seeds of wild grass,
then some started to make holes on the ground and to drop a few grass
seeds in so that they didn't have to search so far to find the seeds
they needed.
The plough came much later, see
http://www.ploughmen.co.uk/ploughhistory.htm
In The US of A primitive stick ploughs were uses in places well into the
19th century.
Tending of livestock was mostly a shared job, where the animals needed
defending from wild animals or marauding neighbours then it was the men
that did it, especially as the keeping of livestock reduced the need of
hunting to feed the people so men had more time to devote to developing
husbandry skills and other agricultural practices.
I do think that some time spent reading up on agricultural history would
be a good idea
Old 30-06-2014, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 30/06/2014 13:13, Janet wrote:

In this country, hunter-gathering (found food) preceded agriculture
(the clearing of forest to create grazing, breeding/tending livestock,
cultivating soil to grow crops).

What country are you talking about?
Slash and burn was not a common practice in Europe as it is a method
used mainly by nomadic people who move on every 2 or 3 years.

She didn't mention that.

In the UK forests were not cleared for agriculture, it was the need for
Oak for sailing ships from the 16th century onwards.

That is erroneous - see Rackham and many others. Most were cleared
by the neolithic farmers, when agriculture was introduced. Until
c. 3,000 BC, only a VERY few areas of the UK weren't forested, and
most of those were and are unsuitable for agriculture.

Forests were about the only source of fuel that people had.

Er, no. Shrubs, reeds etc. all make good fuel. As do reasonably
dry peat and herbivore dung.

for thousands of years people just gathered the seeds of wild grass,
then some started to make holes on the ground and to drop a few grass
seeds in so that they didn't have to search so far to find the seeds
they needed.

There is no evidence for that, and it is VERY dubious (for grasses,
anyway). They do not establish well like that, and a few plants
aren't any use. It is possible that is how farming started, but
it won't have been grasses.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-06-2014, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
Janet wrote:
[...]

This site explains the timeline......
http://www.ukagriculture.com/country...de_history.cfm

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 30/06/2014 13:13, Janet wrote:

In this country, hunter-gathering (found food) preceded agriculture
(the clearing of forest to create grazing, breeding/tending livestock,
cultivating soil to grow crops).

What country are you talking about?

Britain; this is a UK group.

See Nick's replies.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2014 11:48 PM, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I want to grow some wheat to make my own bread. Where can I buy the seed?

There is an elderly (1980) British book called "Growing wheat & making
bread on a small scale" by Hugh Coats and J. R. Stanford published by
Thorsons Publishers Limited, Wellingborough, Nothamptonshire that may
interest you.

It's been a long time since I read it but glancing over it again, it's
full of interesting info such as a twelfth of an acre producing enough
wheat for a family for a year if they are using 4 loaves a week.

I haven't noticed it in the book, but the UK used to grow soft wheat and
for good bread, hard winter wheat is the type that is preferred for
bread making.