Old 30-06-2014, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I think they got it wrong

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

It is possible to predict whether an area
will get rain or sun, but not whether a location will, nor very often
how much.

The one that always amuses me is the generic summer forecast: "Hazy, hot,
humid, scattered thunderstorms." Nobody can predict just where, but when
there's enough energy and moisture, you can be pretty sure things will
happen. On those days, I take an occasional look at the radar images to
see where things are popping up.

The UK equivalent is "cloudy, generally unsettled, with some sunshine
and scattered showers, some of which may be heavy and prolonged".

And yes, everybody wants the simple capsule form.
Anybody else remember a short story "irtnog," I think. All the day's news
was condensed into one word, so people could keep up to date without mental
effort.

No - thanks for pointing it out. I have seen similar ones, but not
that one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-06-2014, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/06/2014 13:27, Gary Woods wrote:
Anybody else remember a short story "irtnog," I think. All the day's news
was condensed into one word, so people could keep up to date without mental
effort.

Not specifically, but it sounds like something from Kurt Vonnegut or
maybe Philip K Dick

--
regards andy
Old 30-06-2014, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2014 21:59, Vir Campestris wrote:

This morning the forecasts I saw said maybe 2mm of rain near Cambridge.

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dt...raph.cgi?today

Off the scale at over 10mm/hr at one point!

Andy

What we really need is Paxman doing the weather...

http://bit.ly/1qK173A

Jeff

---

Old 30-06-2014, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 08:27:19 -0400, Gary Woods wrote:

Anybody else remember a short story "irtnog," I think.

I love E.B. White. Recently reread "The Second Tree from the Corner." A
marvelous writer, his childrens books (Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little)
make wonderful reading even for adults. Unfortunate that most now know
these tales from the movie versions, not at all my cup of tea. Luckily
they haven't gotten to the classic "Trumpet of the Swan", though it's
only a matter of time I suppose.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy