Old 30-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered User

Default Honeysuckle Flowers

The flowers on my honeysuckle form, but then before they open they seems to drop off the stems. This year there were so many flower heads I thought it would be wonderful but now there are only one of two flower heads in flower and they are not complete.I know they don't need watering especially with all of the rain we have had Can you please tell me if it is an insect or a disease. This has happened to every plant to I have ever planted.
Old 30-06-2014, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Lesley Phipps

You don't say what sort of honeysuckle? (There are lots) there are 3
possible causes

Drying out - unlikely if its an established plant

Mildew but that would show up in the leaves first and you didn't say you had
a problem with those

Aphids, Lonicera (Honeysuckle) have there own sort and they infest the
forming flower clusters causing them to not open they also look a bit
distorted. You need to spray early on, if you don't want to use chemicals,
use soapy water and put up tit boxes.

Some honeysuckles suffer more than others and the location in the garden can
also be a factor.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs