Old 04-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Registered User

Default Blue Spruce and Needles!

Hi All

I have a rather tall and established Blue Spruce in my back garden, must be 20m high, maybe more! My understanding was Blue Spruces may shed needles in Autumn but they won't be very conspicuous.

This one, not only looks terrible and not like any Blue Spruce I've seen that's healthy, but it drops lots of needles - constantly!! One of the pics shows a weeks worth of drop.

It was wrapped in Ivy until a couple of years ago when the retirement flats whose grounds its in killed it off and it does appear to be worse since.

I've uploaded some pics of how it looks, would be grateful if anyone in the know could offer an opinion of if its normal or has problems?

Many Thanks
Neil

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f4...psbd3b9d2e.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f4...ps5bf107ed.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f4...ps96aab377.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f4...pseb1e47fb.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f4...psbc57988c.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f4...ps923fa77c.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f4...psec42e0c8.jpg
Old 04-07-2014, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2014 16:18, SkyJawa wrote:

Hi All

I have a rather tall and established Blue Spruce in my back garden, must
be 20m high, maybe more! My understanding was Blue Spruces may shed
needles in Autumn but they won't be very conspicuous.

This one, not only looks terrible and not like any Blue Spruce I've seen
that's healthy, but it drops lots of needles - constantly!! One of the
pics shows a weeks worth of drop.

It was wrapped in Ivy until a couple of years ago when the retirement
flats whose grounds its in killed it off and it does appear to be worse
since.

I've uploaded some pics of how it looks, would be grateful if anyone in
the know could offer an opinion of if its normal or has problems?

Many Thanks
Neil

'[image:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f400/SkyJawa/P1010746_zpsbd3b9d2e.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/oj5pz6h)

I think the time has come to say good bye to it, have it removed and
plant a new tree nearby if you want something there.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post

I think the time has come to say good bye to it, have it removed and
plant a new tree nearby if you want something there.
To be honest I'd be more than happy if that was the case, steals about 2-3 hours of sunlight a day from our south facing garden! Been try to have the height reduced for years!!!