GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wildflower or not? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/210194-wildflower-not.html)

Compo in Caithness[_2_] 07-07-2014 10:30 PM

Wildflower or not?

I thought this was a wildflower but I can find it in any of my books or on teh internet. Anyone have any idea what it might be, please? It is about a foot tall and spindly.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-X...0253.JPG?gl=GB

David Hill 08-07-2014 12:01 AM

Wildflower or not?

On 07/07/2014 22:30, Compo in Caithness wrote:
I thought this was a wildflower but I can find it in any of my books or on teh internet. Anyone have any idea what it might be, please? It is about a foot tall and spindly.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-X...0253.JPG?gl=GB

A picture showing more of the plant would help
What sort of soil is it growing in?

Martin Brown 08-07-2014 08:02 AM

Wildflower or not?

On 07/07/2014 22:30, Compo in Caithness wrote:
I thought this was a wildflower but I can find it in any of my books or on teh internet. Anyone have any idea what it might be, please? It is about a foot tall and spindly.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-X...0253.JPG?gl=GB

You make it rather difficult to identify with the impossible view from a
weird angle of back of the flower and nothing else. I'd guess a silene
possibly conica from the very limited information provided.

http://delta-intkey.com/angio/images/ebo01991.jpg

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Spider[_3_] 09-07-2014 01:22 PM

Wildflower or not?

On 07/07/2014 22:30, Compo in Caithness wrote:
I thought this was a wildflower but I can find it in any of my books or on teh internet. Anyone have any idea what it might be, please? It is about a foot tall and spindly.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-X...0253.JPG?gl=GB

As others have said, it's not the clearest picture, but I think it could
be Agrostemma githago, the Corncockle, so certainly a wildflower. It is
not as common as it once was, so worth encouraging.

http://www.arkive.org/corncockle/agrostemma-githago/

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Compo in Caithness[_2_] 14-07-2014 09:42 AM

Wildflower or not?

Thanks to Chris Hogg for identifying the plant in question. I was just about to upload several more pictures but no need now. Thanks again gang.

Compo in Caithness[_2_] 14-07-2014 09:44 AM

Wildflower or not?

On Monday, 14 July 2014 09:42:29 UTC+1, Compo in Caithness wrote:
Thanks to Chris Hogg for identifying the plant in question. I was just about to upload several more pictures but no need now. Thanks again gang.

"vaccaria pyramidata"