Old 13-07-2014, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Didn't know they grew in this country

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/apri...ard-61727.aspx

or is it just the Isle of Wight?

Mike

advert to follow

Old 13-07-2014, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/07/2014 09:12, 'Mike' wrote:
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/apri...ard-61727.aspx

or is it just the Isle of Wight?

It probably is more likely to have the correct growing conditions than
other places.
http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/apricot-trees

--

Jeff
Old 13-07-2014, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 13/07/2014 09:12, 'Mike' wrote:
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/apri...ard-61727.aspx

or is it just the Isle of Wight?

It probably is more likely to have the correct growing conditions than other places.
http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/apricot-trees

The Victorians grew apricots abundantly in their walled
gardens and I have grown them in a similar situation in
Northamptonshire. I now grow them under glass in the
north of Scotland and have just started picking them.
British grown apricots are far superior to those bought
in supermarkets. They are generaly larger, jucier and
sweeter and because they take longer to mature, they
have a much better flavour.

Ardmhor

Old 13-07-2014, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/apri...ard-61727.aspx

or is it just the Isle of Wight?

Certainly not just the IOW, there is a village near Banbury called Aynho
where the old Lord of the Manor loved Apricots so much all his houses in the
village had to have an apricot tree growing on their wall. A lot are still
there, or were when I last drove through.

http://www.aynho.org.uk/

We also had an apricot tree but it got struck by lightening!

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-07-2014, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/07/2014 09:12, 'Mike' wrote:
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/apri...ard-61727.aspx

or is it just the Isle of Wight?

It probably is more likely to have the correct growing conditions than other places.
http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/apricot-trees

The Victorians grew apricots abundantly in their walled
gardens and I have grown them in a similar situation in
Northamptonshire. I now grow them under glass in the
north of Scotland and have just started picking them.
British grown apricots are far superior to those bought
in supermarkets. They are generaly larger, jucier and
sweeter and because they take longer to mature, they
have a much better flavour.

But this situation is different. It refers to 4500 trees growing in a
22 acre orchard, neither in a walled garden nor under glass. That must
be pretty unique for apricots in the UK, and I doubt that there are many
other situations in the country where the conditions are similar - few
late frosts to damage the blossom and long hours of sunshine to ripen
the fruit.

Interestingly, the article does refer to his being among "the first in
the country". I wonder where the others are?

--

Jeff

Old 14-07-2014, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/07/2014 09:12, 'Mike' wrote:

[...]

There are new varieties that flower later. Traditionally they flower in February and don't get enough pollinators and risk frost. In our last house we only had one crop in 18 years. When we moved here, Warwickshire, we planted one of the new varieties and we get a good crop of very juicy apricots the size of peaches every year. They should be ready in a couple of weeks. It is against a wall though.

Jonathan
Old 14-07-2014, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan wrote
There are new varieties that flower later. Traditionally they flower in
February and don't get enough pollinators and risk frost. In our last house
we only had one crop in 18 years. When we moved here, Warwickshire, we
planted one of the new varieties and we get a good crop of very juicy
apricots the size of peaches every year. They should be ready in a couple
of weeks. It is against a wall though.

Would that be one of the new Canadian varieties ending on ....cot, like
Tomcot.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-07-2014, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 08:38:04 -0700, wardjfb wrote:

There are new varieties that flower later. Traditionally they flower in
February and don't get enough pollinators and risk frost. In our last
house we only had one crop in 18 years. When we moved here,
Warwickshire,
we planted one of the new varieties and we get a good crop of very juicy
apricots the size of peaches every year. They should be ready in a
couple of weeks. It is against a wall though.

We tried one that we were told would grow here (climate is much like
Devon). In 15 years never a fruit, finally it succumbed to an illness and
I took it out. Wasn't against a wall though. Peaches on the other hand
we do quite well with, a white variety called Mme Girard, which is on a
south facing wall. Looks like a good crop this year.

Congratulations on your apricots, they're one of my favorite fruits,
lovely. The season is pretty much done here on the market, although
it was a poor year for apricots even in the south. The best source for
French apricots is the Drome department, where they grow at altitude.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 15-07-2014, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-14 09:37:37 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

snip

In ignorance, I would have assumed that apricots require much the same
treatment as peaches, i.e. fan or espalier trained on a sunny wall,
which is not unusual in the UK.

Well, according to Shakespeare they grew here in Richard II's time, so
they've been around a while! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-07-2014, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, July 14, 2014 6:26:36 PM UTC+1, Bob Hobden wrote:

Would that be one of the new Canadian varieties ending on ....cot, like

Tomcot.

I'm not sure, we planted it in 2007 and the label has gone the way of most things.

Jonathan

Old 15-07-2014, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/apri...ard-61727.aspx

or is it just the Isle of Wight?

Very many thanks to all the replies both on here and the private ones too.

That's a bit more I have learnt!!!

Mike