GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ugh (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/210256-ugh.html)

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 17-07-2014 09:04 AM

Ugh

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_11_] 17-07-2014 09:34 AM

Ugh

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

shazzbat 17-07-2014 09:46 AM

Ugh

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

And how come once it's on your fingers the slime turns to superglue? I hate
that.

Steve

Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] 17-07-2014 10:03 AM

Ugh

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:34:09 +0100, Sacha

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

About 40 years ago I worked with Danish chap who assured us all that
there is some snack available back home which is slug rolled in
oatmeal and deep fried!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Jeff Layman[_2_] 17-07-2014 10:14 AM

Ugh

On 17/07/2014 09:04, Nick Maclaren wrote:
While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

I think I need new glasses. I hurriedly read your post as "grabbing a
13-amp plug", and wondered what that was doing in the garden. But I
reckon the shock from grabbing that would be far less than what you'd
experienced! Slugs really are disgusting creatures.

--

Jeff

Broadback[_3_] 17-07-2014 10:33 AM

Ugh

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

About 40 years ago I worked with Danish chap who assured us all that
there is some snack available back home which is slug rolled in
oatmeal and deep fried!

Steve

I've often wondered about that after all snails are a well known
delicacy, so why not slugs?

Tim Watts[_3_] 17-07-2014 11:29 AM

Ugh

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

About 40 years ago I worked with Danish chap who assured us all that
there is some snack available back home which is slug rolled in
oatmeal and deep fried!

Steve

I've often wondered about that after all snails are a well known
delicacy, so why not slugs?

You'd probably have to starve them for a while, as they do snails - or
you'll end up ingesting the last toxic plat they ate...

Bob Hobden 17-07-2014 11:40 AM

Ugh

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

What with this and the woodlice I'll have to stop reading URG just before
lunch. :-(
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Peter James[_6_] 17-07-2014 11:51 AM

Ugh

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

About 40 years ago I worked with Danish chap who assured us all that
there is some snack available back home which is slug rolled in
oatmeal and deep fried!

Steve

I've often wondered about that after all snails are a well known
delicacy, so why not slugs?

Years ago, when I was a young man of about 23 I was a keen coarse
fisherman, and I used to fish the River Kennett , for amongst other
fish, Chubb. And one of the really good baits for Chubb are those
delightful looking keel slugs, the big black ones, with the revolting
looking orange ones a good second.

Collecting them from the nearby park after dark in torchlight was one
thing, but putting them on the hook was an absolute abomination. I will
draw a blank about the "squishyness" of the horrid things. But they did
catch Chubb! So at the time it seemed a worthwhile price to pay.

I'm sure I couldn't do it now!

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential

philgurr 17-07-2014 08:44 PM

Ugh

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 17/07/2014 09:04, Nick Maclaren wrote:
While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

I think I need new glasses. I hurriedly read your post as "grabbing a 13-amp plug", and
wondered what that was doing in the garden. But I reckon the shock from grabbing that
would be far less than what you'd experienced! Slugs really are disgusting creatures.

It's all a matter of perception really, and I share the revulsion of others.
But I do wonder what our reaction would be if slugs could sing!

Ardmhor

Spider[_3_] 17-07-2014 10:40 PM

Ugh

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

And how come once it's on your fingers the slime turns to superglue? I
hate that.

Steve

That is so true! I've started wiping the slime off on the brick of the
house wall. It seems to help, but there's always some slime left
behind. Yuk! Worse when you wash your hands. Double yuk!!
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Spider[_3_] 17-07-2014 10:40 PM

Ugh

Sacha[_11_] 17-07-2014 10:57 PM

Ugh

On 2014-07-17 19:44:51 +0000, philgurr said:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 17/07/2014 09:04, Nick Maclaren wrote:
While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

I think I need new glasses. I hurriedly read your post as "grabbing a
13-amp plug", and wondered what that was doing in the garden. But I
reckon the shock from grabbing that would be far less than what you'd
experienced! Slugs really are disgusting creatures.

It's all a matter of perception really, and I share the revulsion of others.
But I do wonder what our reaction would be if slugs could sing!

Ardmhor

Sheer terror. It's bad enough that they're slithering round creating
silent havoc. Noisy havoc would be beyond reason.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

[email protected] 18-07-2014 12:20 AM

Ugh

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 12:40:19 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:04:11 +0100 (BST), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

My wife put out saucers of beer for the slugs before we went on holiday for 10
days. On our return there was a nasty smell in the garden caused by decomposing
slugs.

My other half collects slugs in a bucket with a drop of water and
some leaves and lets them decompose, then makes some evil smelling
concoction that is supposed to be a homebrew nematode remedy.
Walked home recently and on the approach thought it strange that the
nearby farm was dung spreading in June,then thought it even stranger
that missus was in the front flowerbed spraying a Honeysuckle scent
aerosol when the area had some of the real thing growing.
Turned out she had decided to spread some of her slug mix around only
to have our neighbour complaining bitterly over the fence that her
house stunk and who nearby was getting got their septic tank pumped
out in the evening not twigging that the source of the pong was the
watering can the missus was still holding.

G.Harman

Pam Moore[_3_] 18-07-2014 07:41 AM

Ugh

On 2014-07-17 08:04:11 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

While removing chickweed from a patch of my vegetable garden,
I had the displeasure of grabbing hold of what proved to be a
13-slug gang-bang. Sizable ones, too.

What a year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aaaaak. They give me the shudders and if I touch one I feel quite sick.
13 of them - disgusting!

About 40 years ago I worked with Danish chap who assured us all that
there is some snack available back home which is slug rolled in
oatmeal and deep fried!

A friend of a former Swedish Navy officer who claimed that the best Swedish meat
balls were made by ships's cooks wearing shorts in hot climates rolling the meat
on their thighs. That put me off Swedish meat balls fir life.

Now I shall never enjoy Ikea meatballs again!