Old 06-05-2003, 08:44 PM
karen

Default Help, re horseradish

Hiya all,
I've had the top leaves chopped off my horseradish at work (someone was a
little over enthusiastic with the weeding!). Will these grow back or should
I try to dig it up now-it's been in just over a year.
Thanks for any help
Karen

Old 06-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Drakanthus

Hiya all,
I've had the top leaves chopped off my horseradish at work (someone was a
little over enthusiastic with the weeding!). Will these grow back or should
I try to dig it up now-it's been in just over a year.
Thanks for any help
Karen

In my experience Horseradish is indestructible. It is a bit like dandelion and
thistle in the respect that if any of its root is left in the ground it will
re-emerge. To paraphrase Arnold Schwartzenager - IT WILL BE BACK!
We cleared an area which had some horseradish, laid a concrete and boulder path
and a year later the horseradish had split the concrete - we had missed a bit of
root!
On the plus side it makes one hell of a sauce. Try pulverising a bit of clean, raw
root in a blender with a bit of cream - it certainly clears the sinuses!!!
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 06-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
karen wrote:
Hiya all,
I've had the top leaves chopped off my horseradish at work (someone was a
little over enthusiastic with the weeding!). Will these grow back or should
I try to dig it up now-it's been in just over a year.

It will almost certainly regrow. I have been trying to kill some
by mowing it, and it lasted over 5 years. You CAN kill horseradish,
but it isn't easy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Drakanthus wrote:
Hiya all,
I've had the top leaves chopped off my horseradish at work (someone was a
little over enthusiastic with the weeding!). Will these grow back or should
I try to dig it up now-it's been in just over a year.

In my experience Horseradish is indestructible. It is a bit like dandelion and
thistle in the respect that if any of its root is left in the ground it will
re-emerge. To paraphrase Arnold Schwartzenager - IT WILL BE BACK!

In my experience, dandelion doesn't compete. I have little difficulty
digging it up in such a way that it stays dug. But I agree about
thistle (assuming we mean the same one).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Drakanthus

In my experience, dandelion doesn't compete. I have little difficulty
digging it up in such a way that it stays dug. But I agree about
thistle (assuming we mean the same one).

Nick Maclaren.

Probably. The tricky bit with horseradish is the depth of the roots - the tap
roots seem to go much deeper than dandelion and thistle. I'd recommend trying the
sauce by the way - It is much better than the shop bought version. As I understand
it manufacturers are required by law to pasteurise the root - which drives off
most of the volatile aromatic compounds that gives the sauce its pungency.

Regards,
Drakanthus.

Old 06-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Gary Woods

"Drakanthus" wrote:

As I understand
it manufacturers are required by law to pasteurise the root -

That's certainly not the case here in the colonies, but I have noticed that
the pungency depends entirely on getting a fast-moving locally-made brand,
so it's good and fresh. That's probably why delicatessens have the
reputation for having the Good Stuff; they use a lot!
It freezes pretty well; I use the same old plastic ice cube tray for
freezing pesto in season. Dueling pungents!

Old 06-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Drakanthus wrote:
In my experience, dandelion doesn't compete. I have little difficulty
digging it up in such a way that it stays dug. But I agree about
thistle (assuming we mean the same one).

Probably. The tricky bit with horseradish is the depth of the roots - the tap
roots seem to go much deeper than dandelion and thistle. I'd recommend trying the
sauce by the way - It is much better than the shop bought version. As I understand
it manufacturers are required by law to pasteurise the root - which drives off
most of the volatile aromatic compounds that gives the sauce its pungency.

They also usually bind it in some revolting salad cream substance,
often made with cheap synthetic vinegar. Yes, I agree with it, but
don't limit yourself to horseradish sauce.

A small amount in mackerel pate, used to stuff mackerel and oily
fish, and even just added to suitable stews. And, of course, many
pickles. It is the UK's answer to chillis as a general warming
ingredient :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 6 May 2003 20:50:20 +0100, "karen"
wrote:

Hiya all,
I've had the top leaves chopped off my horseradish at work (someone was a
little over enthusiastic with the weeding!). Will these grow back or should
I try to dig it up now-it's been in just over a year.

It should be fine - horseradish is the John Prescott of the veg.
garden.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 08:45 AM
Help with Horseradish Geoff Spooner Australia 1 21-10-2004 11:24 AM
Horseradish again karen United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 08:56 PM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 03-03-2003 11:42 PM