GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tal-ya (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/210426-tal-ya.html)

David Hill 07-08-2014 09:08 AM

tal-ya

Thgis looks like an interesting idea esp for those in the dryer parts of
the country.
http://www.tal-ya.com/

Bob Hobden 07-08-2014 05:04 PM

tal-ya

"David Hill" wrote

This looks like an interesting idea esp for those in the dryer parts of the
country.
http://www.tal-ya.com/

Yes, looks interesting although I can't see how it helps with rainwater.
Irrigation certainly but not rainwater.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

David Hill 07-08-2014 07:55 PM

tal-ya

On 07/08/2014 17:04, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

This looks like an interesting idea esp for those in the dryer parts
of the country.
http://www.tal-ya.com/

Yes, looks interesting although I can't see how it helps with rainwater.
Irrigation certainly but not rainwater.

Probably by concentrating its flow to the base of the plant, so more
chance of penetrating deeper into the soil.

David B 08-08-2014 09:41 AM

tal-ya

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 07/08/2014 17:04, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

This looks like an interesting idea esp for those in the dryer parts
of the country.
http://www.tal-ya.com/

Yes, looks interesting although I can't see how it helps with rainwater.
Irrigation certainly but not rainwater.

Probably by concentrating its flow to the base of the plant, so more
chance of penetrating deeper into the soil.

And then possibly helping to prevent evaporation?

--
David

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 08-08-2014 10:11 AM

tal-ya

In article , David B wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
On 07/08/2014 17:04, Bob Hobden wrote:

This looks like an interesting idea esp for those in the dryer parts
of the country.
http://www.tal-ya.com/

Yes, looks interesting although I can't see how it helps with rainwater.
Irrigation certainly but not rainwater.

Probably by concentrating its flow to the base of the plant, so more
chance of penetrating deeper into the soil.

And then possibly helping to prevent evaporation?

Yes. A near-total waste of time for the UK, where a simple
depression is quite good enough. And, as David says, only for
irrigation (and fertilisation), not rain.

In countries with higher evaporation, it's different. But,
here, it's a rare day that will evaporate more than 1 mm of
water, so any useful rain will soak in before it evaporates.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob Hobden 08-08-2014 12:09 PM

tal-ya

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

David B wrote:
"David Hill" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:

This looks like an interesting idea esp for those in the dryer parts
of the country.
http://www.tal-ya.com/

Yes, looks interesting although I can't see how it helps with
rainwater.
Irrigation certainly but not rainwater.

Probably by concentrating its flow to the base of the plant, so more
chance of penetrating deeper into the soil.

And then possibly helping to prevent evaporation?

Yes. A near-total waste of time for the UK, where a simple
depression is quite good enough. And, as David says, only for
irrigation (and fertilisation), not rain.

In countries with higher evaporation, it's different. But,
here, it's a rare day that will evaporate more than 1 mm of
water, so any useful rain will soak in before it evaporates.

That is exactly what we do on the allotment, make an earth channel along the
row of beans and tomatoes etc and rings around squashes and water into
those. It's just the way I was taught to garden here.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.