GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Universal spray for aphids, and other apple tree leaf problems? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/210458-universal-spray-aphids-other-apple-tree-leaf-problems.html)

AL_n 12-08-2014 11:47 AM

Universal spray for aphids, and other apple tree leaf problems?

Hi all,

I few months ago, I planted three different apple trees. Now, already, each
has its own issues. One has aphids, and the other two have some kind of
brown leaf patches, and holes in leaves.

I'm no expert, and don't have a lot of time to read up on fruit tree
problems. Is there a universal spray for apple trees that generally
protects against the common problems?

I've sprayed the aphid-riddled one with a washing-up liguid solution, which
I hope will solfve the aphid issue but the patchy leaf-browning issue is
something I'd like to put a stop to before it gets any worse.

Many thanks,

Al

Bertie Doe 15-08-2014 09:45 AM

"AL_n" wrote in message ...

Hi all,

I few months ago, I planted three different apple trees. Now, already, each
has its own issues. One has aphids, and the other two have some kind of
brown leaf patches, and holes in leaves.

I used derris spray to kill aphids on my greenhouse chilli plants. Whether
one bottle will suffice for a whole tree???

Not sure about the holes, but brown patches could indicate scab. Probably
too late to spray this year but do a bit of research on google and find a
suitable spray and use at leaf and bud stage in Spring.

I think you need to burn all fallen leaves :-
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...-scab/372.html

Bertie Doe 15-08-2014 11:25 AM

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message ...

"AL_n" wrote in message ...

Hi all,

I few months ago, I planted three different apple trees. Now, already,
each
has its own issues. One has aphids, and the other two have some kind of
brown leaf patches, and holes in leaves.

snip

I think you need to burn all fallen leaves :-
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...-scab/372.html

Update: Should have looked in 'The Fruit Expert' by Dr.D.G.Hessayon. The
villain could be Capsid Bug (about quarter inch long)

"....... reddish-brown spots.... leaves expand producing ragged brown-edged
holes". Again, a bit late to spray, Dr.H. says " ... spray with Fenitrothion
or 'Long-last' at green cluster (leaves) or petal fall (blossom) stage".

Capsids with brown spots and holes seem closer to your brief. Not sure if
above chemicals are still available but Google Capsid Bug treatment for the
most up to date gen.

AL_n 23-08-2014 12:24 PM

Universal spray for aphids, and other apple tree leaf problems?

"Bertie Doe" wrote in news:c565gdFnnafU1
@mid.individual.net:

Update: Should have looked in 'The Fruit Expert' by Dr.D.G.Hessayon. The
villain could be Capsid Bug (about quarter inch long)

Thanks for your help. I haven't seen any bugs of that size. Anyway, I will
definitely spray the young buds next Spring, as you suggested.
Thanks!

Al