Old 13-08-2014, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fuchsia foliage filchers

A Fuchsia 'Blackie' that I've been growing on from a rooted cutting in a
pot on the patio was being nibbled by something, but I couldn't find any
culprits 'til yesterday.

Two very big and apparently very hungry caterpillars had appeared, with
markings like great big eyes at the head end and waving 'snouts' -
strange looking things. Think they're Elephant Hawk Moth larvae and as
far as I can remember these are the first I've noticed in our garden.

Later they'd gone again, but one was found hiding underneath the stems
in nearby pot of Basil and the other was wandering across to the lawn.
The poor fuchsia is left somewhat defoliated, to say the least, so I've
transferred both beasties to a long established 'Mrs Popple' out in the
garden, and hope they'll have had their fill soon!

--
Sue
Old 13-08-2014, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-13 15:52:01 +0000, Indigo said:

A Fuchsia 'Blackie' that I've been growing on from a rooted cutting in
a pot on the patio was being nibbled by something, but I couldn't find
any culprits 'til yesterday.

Two very big and apparently very hungry caterpillars had appeared, with
markings like great big eyes at the head end and waving 'snouts' -
strange looking things. Think they're Elephant Hawk Moth larvae and as
far as I can remember these are the first I've noticed in our garden.

Later they'd gone again, but one was found hiding underneath the stems
in nearby pot of Basil and the other was wandering across to the lawn.
The poor fuchsia is left somewhat defoliated, to say the least, so I've
transferred both beasties to a long established 'Mrs Popple' out in the
garden, and hope they'll have had their fill soon!

There has been quite a few reports of these beasties so the long, warm
periods of sunshine are doing them lots of favours, gorgeous creatures.
Ray saw one of the moths feeding on a Penstemon the other day. I'm
sure they're a nuisance to Fuchsia growers but they're such special
creatures it would be good to think they can get a feed here and there,
as you have supplied!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-08-2014, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Indigo said:

Think they're Elephant Hawk Moth larvae

There has been quite a few reports of these beasties

Hungry beasties indeed. anyone know what time of year would the eggs
have been laid?

Old 13-08-2014, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/08/2014 21:20, Sacha wrote:
There has been quite a few reports of these beasties so the long, warm
periods of sunshine are doing them lots of favours, gorgeous creatures.
Ray saw one of the moths feeding on a Penstemon the other day. I'm
sure they're a nuisance to Fuchsia growers but they're such special
creatures it would be good to think they can get a feed here and there,
as you have supplied!

We have Penstemons; I'll keep a look out for the adult moths. In
pictures they look quite colourful.

--
Sue
Old 14-08-2014, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/08/2014 16:52, Indigo wrote:
A Fuchsia 'Blackie' that I've been growing on from a rooted cutting in a
pot on the patio was being nibbled by something, but I couldn't find any
culprits 'til yesterday.

Two very big and apparently very hungry caterpillars had appeared, with
markings like great big eyes at the head end and waving 'snouts' -
strange looking things. Think they're Elephant Hawk Moth larvae and as
far as I can remember these are the first I've noticed in our garden.

Later they'd gone again, but one was found hiding underneath the stems
in nearby pot of Basil and the other was wandering across to the lawn.
The poor fuchsia is left somewhat defoliated, to say the least, so I've
transferred both beasties to a long established 'Mrs Popple' out in the
garden, and hope they'll have had their fill soon!

There seems to have been rather a glut of these caterpillars this year.
Even my daughter who lives in the middle of town found one in her garden.
http://www.uksafari.com/08elephants.htm
R.

---

Old 14-08-2014, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 22:40:13 +0100, Indigo
wrote:

On 13/08/2014 21:20, Sacha wrote:
There has been quite a few reports of these beasties so the long, warm
periods of sunshine are doing them lots of favours, gorgeous creatures.
Ray saw one of the moths feeding on a Penstemon the other day. I'm
sure they're a nuisance to Fuchsia growers but they're such special
creatures it would be good to think they can get a feed here and there,
as you have supplied!

We have Penstemons; I'll keep a look out for the adult moths. In
pictures they look quite colourful.

The adult moths are so beautiful I think it's worth growing plants
just for them to eat.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 14-08-2014, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Indigo" wrote in message

A Fuchsia 'Blackie' that I've been growing on from a rooted cutting in a
pot on the patio was being nibbled by something, but I couldn't find any
culprits 'til yesterday.

Two very big and apparently very hungry caterpillars had appeared, with
markings like great big eyes at the head end and waving 'snouts' -
strange looking things. Think they're Elephant Hawk Moth larvae and as
far as I can remember these are the first I've noticed in our garden.

In some years I have hummungbird hawk moth larvae on my fuchsia leaves :-

http://preview.tinyurl.com/phvof8z

When the moth emerges it does indeed hover and takes nectar from the fuchsia
flowers.

Old 22-08-2014, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Indigo wrote:

Two very big and apparently very hungry caterpillars had appeared

They made an appearance on Gardeners' World tonight

Old 23-08-2014, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/08/2014 21:57, Andy Burns wrote:
Indigo wrote:

Two very big and apparently very hungry caterpillars had appeared

They made an appearance on Gardeners' World tonight

Yes I saw them.
Mine disappeared. I hope that means they're pupating and more of the
moths for next year.

--
Sue