Old 25-08-2014, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What goes around, comes around... (Apology to Chris Hogg)

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 08:14:29 -0300, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 08:41:13 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

Oh look, Judith is pretending to be me *again*. She IS the resident
forger.

You really are a dozy cow: I can assure you that I have not forged any
posting
addresses at all.

A Mandy Rice-Davies moment; though I must add that this in no way
indicates an
opinion on the sex of the person at the keyboard doing the forging.

Not me, again. Wrong headers and no sig. Sigh!

My apologies to Chris Hogg. I have realised you did not write this or cross
post the previous one. It is one of 'Judith's' games.

'Judith' complains that he doesn't forge addresses. Technically he is
correct because he knows if he uses real address, he could be in trouble so
he uses someone's name/nick with a ' address because most
people wouldn't notice the difference and which unfortunately, you already
have, so it was hard to tell. He also does that when posting himself
because he can get away with obscenities and pretend he didn't post it.

Several people have told me he is Peter Turtill. I leave it to anyone who
cares to follow that up.

Apologies again to you, and to everyone here.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-08-2014, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 23:12:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

snip

My apologies to Chris Hogg. I have realised you did not write this or cross
post the previous one. It is one of 'Judith's' games.

'Judith' complains that he doesn't forge addresses. Technically he is
correct because he knows if he uses real address, he could be in trouble so
he uses someone's name/nick with a ' address because most
people wouldn't notice the difference and which unfortunately, you already
have, so it was hard to tell. He also does that when posting himself
because he can get away with obscenities and pretend he didn't post it.

Several people have told me he is Peter Turtill. I leave it to anyone who
cares to follow that up.

Apologies again to you, and to everyone here.

Please will you STOP posting this tripe in urg.
No-one is interested in your childish vendettas
You made little contribution to gardening issues when you used to post
here.
Pleaase go away again.

--
The rose gardener
Spalding in Lincolnshire
Old 26-08-2014, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plum tree

"Rosey" wrote in message

Please will you STOP posting this tripe in urg.
No-one is interested in your childish vendettas
You made little contribution to gardening issues when you used to post
here.

Because I know little and would like to learn

Pleaase go away again.

I have only responded to others over this rubbish. I will always defend
myself wouldn't you?

I would love to post about gardening.

Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and the
leaves have holes in them?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Old 26-08-2014, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote
Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and the
leaves have holes in them?

The plum tree on our allotments hasn't fruited this year either and only one
of our 4 cherries, the later flowered one, had a decent crop. I believe it
was because there were no insects about when they flowered they they didn't
get pollinated.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-08-2014, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and the leaves have
holes in them?

Wish I could, mine has done the same!

Ardmhor

Old 26-08-2014, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and the
leaves have holes in them?

Wish I could, mine has done the same!

Ahh. You are in Scotland too I think? But further north than I. Let us
hope someone has a remedy?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-08-2014, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote
Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and the
leaves have holes in them?

The plum tree on our allotments hasn't fruited this year either and only
one of our 4 cherries, the later flowered one, had a decent crop. I
believe it was because there were no insects about when they flowered they
they didn't get pollinated.

Thank you. We did get a lot of bees - which I hadn't seen for a very long
time - but I think they were too late. I do have some apples (James
Grieve) but not too many. Down to weather do you suppose?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-08-2014, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote
Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and the leaves have
holes in them?

The plum tree on our allotments hasn't fruited this year either and only one of our 4
cherries, the later flowered one, had a decent crop. I believe it was because there
were no insects about when they flowered they they didn't get pollinated.

Thank you. We did get a lot of bees - which I hadn't seen for a very long time - but I
think they were too late. I do have some apples (James Grieve) but not too many. Down
to weather do you suppose?

I am a beekeeper so no problem with pollinators. I just
didn't get any flowers!

Ardmhor

Old 26-08-2014, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote
Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and the
leaves have holes in them?

The plum tree on our allotments hasn't fruited this year either and only
one of our 4 cherries, the later flowered one, had a decent crop. I
believe it was because there were no insects about when they flowered
they they didn't get pollinated.

Thank you. We did get a lot of bees - which I hadn't seen for a very
long time - but I think they were too late. I do have some apples
(James Grieve) but not too many. Down to weather do you suppose?

I am a beekeeper so no problem with pollinators. I just
didn't get any flowers!

Ahh that throws THAT theory out of the window then I didn't get any
flowers at all either. Was it exceptionally cold?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-08-2014, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/08/2014 13:51, Ophelia wrote:

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and the
leaves have holes in them?

Wish I could, mine has done the same!

Ahh. You are in Scotland too I think? But further north than I. Let us
hope someone has a remedy?

Not sure about the holey leaves, but did your tree fruit well last year?

I think plum trees can be prone to the same 'biennial bearing' as some
apples. My MiL used to say her ancient old Victoria plum would fruit
poorly if it had had a very heavy crop the previous year, as if it took
an extra season to build up strength again. That seems to be true as
last year the old tree hardly had any fruit at all, but this year is
absolutely dripping with plums.

--
Sue

Old 26-08-2014, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

o.uk...

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and
the
leaves have holes in them?

Wish I could, mine has done the same!

Ahh. You are in Scotland too I think? But further north than I. Let
us
hope someone has a remedy?

Not sure about the holey leaves, but did your tree fruit well last year?

I think plum trees can be prone to the same 'biennial bearing' as some
apples. My MiL used to say her ancient old Victoria plum would fruit
poorly if it had had a very heavy crop the previous year, as if it took an
extra season to build up strength again. That seems to be true as last
year the old tree hardly had any fruit at all, but this year is absolutely
dripping with plums.

None last year, but loads the year before. Mine is a Victoria too. Perhaps
I should just keep my fingers crossed for next year? Maybe I was unlucky
this year because of a lack of insects. From what you say, no fruit this
year might mean a better crop next year ... all being well.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-08-2014, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote
Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and
the leaves have holes in them?

The plum tree on our allotments hasn't fruited this year either and
only one of our 4 cherries, the later flowered one, had a decent crop.
I believe it was because there were no insects about when they flowered
they they didn't get pollinated.

Thank you. We did get a lot of bees - which I hadn't seen for a very
long time - but I think they were too late. I do have some apples
(James Grieve) but not too many. Down to weather do you suppose?

I am a beekeeper so no problem with pollinators. I just
didn't get any flowers!

Ahh that throws THAT theory out of the window then I didn't get any
flowers at all either. Was it exceptionally cold?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

A lot of Fruit trees like a proper period of cold to set the dormant buds
for the following year, it varies a lot from variety to variety, also a cold
windy blast at the wrong time can cause mayhem with the emerging flower
buds.

I had a good set on all my fruit trees only to watch a lot go down with
scab, pear midge and plum moth.

Thank god for Figs!!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 26-08-2014, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

Snip

Thank you. We did get a lot of bees - which I hadn't seen for a very long time - but
I think they were too late. I do have some apples (James Grieve) but not too many.
Down to weather do you suppose?

I am a beekeeper so no problem with pollinators. I just
didn't get any flowers!

Ahh that throws THAT theory out of the window then I didn't get any flowers at all
either. Was it exceptionally cold?

Hardly, the warmest winter in living memory and the bees started foraging
six weeks early. Not to do with cropping either, planted last year and the
first years flowers removed. Probably decided that it wasn't worth
producing any this year!

Ardmhor

Old 26-08-2014, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

With only a small garden, we decided that the space our Viccy was taking up
and how few Plums it produced, it was a waste of valuable space, so we
hooked it out and extended the Veg gardens. 'Extended the veg gardens',
someone will love that!!! Made "another" 6 ft by 4 ft raised bed from old
fence panels to sit alongside the other 'one'!!!

Enorma Runner Beans doing fantastic and thanks for those who have been in
contact with advice and comments, great aren't they? And after last night's
rain a superb crop today :-))

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 27th August 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

"philgurr" wrote in message ...

Snip

Old 26-08-2014, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote
[...]

So really, it is in the lap of the gods and there is nothing I can do but
wait? Actually hearing all this is something of a relief. I thought I had
done something wrong to it

I had a good set on all my fruit trees only to watch a lot go down with
scab, pear midge and plum moth.

Oh dear

Thank god for Figs!!

G I've never thought of growing figs