Old 26-08-2014, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plum tree

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Snip

Thank you. We did get a lot of bees - which I hadn't seen for a very
long time - but I think they were too late. I do have some apples
(James Grieve) but not too many. Down to weather do you suppose?

I am a beekeeper so no problem with pollinators. I just
didn't get any flowers!

Ahh that throws THAT theory out of the window then I didn't get any
flowers at all either. Was it exceptionally cold?

Hardly, the warmest winter in living memory and the bees started foraging
six weeks early. Not to do with cropping either, planted last year and the
first years flowers removed. Probably decided that it wasn't worth
producing any this year!

Thanks. How disheartening. At least I am not alone!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-08-2014, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
With only a small garden, we decided that the space our Viccy was taking
up and how few Plums it produced, it was a waste of valuable space, so we
hooked it out and extended the Veg gardens. 'Extended the veg gardens',
someone will love that!!! Made "another" 6 ft by 4 ft raised bed from old
fence panels to sit alongside the other 'one'!!!

Enorma Runner Beans doing fantastic and thanks for those who have been in
contact with advice and comments, great aren't they? And after last
night's rain a superb crop today :-))

Well it's an idea, but I do love my plums and have had wonderful crops in
other years in other gardens. I might wait it out for while.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-08-2014, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
philgurr wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

Thank you. We did get a lot of bees - which I hadn't seen for a very long time - but
I think they were too late. I do have some apples (James Grieve) but not too many.
Down to weather do you suppose?

I am a beekeeper so no problem with pollinators. I just
didn't get any flowers!

Ahh that throws THAT theory out of the window then I didn't get any flowers at all
either. Was it exceptionally cold?

Hardly, the warmest winter in living memory and the bees started foraging
six weeks early. Not to do with cropping either, planted last year and the
first years flowers removed. Probably decided that it wasn't worth
producing any this year!

Not here, it wasn't. It was long and wet, and bees were in VERY
short supply until very late. My peach almost completely failed
to set for that reason, though my damsons set OK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-08-2014, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"philgurr" wrote
"Ophelia" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Ophelia" wrote
Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and the
leaves have holes in them?

The plum tree on our allotments hasn't fruited this year either and only
one of our 4 cherries, the later flowered one, had a decent crop. I
believe it was because there were no insects about when they flowered
they they didn't get pollinated.

Thank you. We did get a lot of bees - which I hadn't seen for a very
long time - but I think they were too late. I do have some apples
(James Grieve) but not too many. Down to weather do you suppose?

I am a beekeeper so no problem with pollinators. I just
didn't get any flowers!

Here there were lots of flowers but nothing to pollinate them.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-08-2014, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"philgurr" wrote
"Ophelia" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Ophelia" wrote
Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and
the leaves have holes in them?

The plum tree on our allotments hasn't fruited this year either and
only one of our 4 cherries, the later flowered one, had a decent crop.
I believe it was because there were no insects about when they flowered
they they didn't get pollinated.

Thank you. We did get a lot of bees - which I hadn't seen for a very
long time - but I think they were too late. I do have some apples
(James Grieve) but not too many. Down to weather do you suppose?

I am a beekeeper so no problem with pollinators. I just
didn't get any flowers!

Here there were lots of flowers but nothing to pollinate them.

how disheartening.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-08-2014, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/08/2014 17:36, Ophelia wrote:
Well it's an idea, but I do love my plums and have had wonderful crops in
other years in other gardens. I might wait it out for while.

We haven't been here a whole year, so I can't compare with the past -
but the apple I thought I'd take down before it fell down might now fall
down under the weight of fruit, and we have loads of damsons.

Cambs FWIW.

Andy
Old 26-08-2014, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 26/08/2014 17:36, Ophelia wrote:
Well it's an idea, but I do love my plums and have had wonderful crops in
other years in other gardens. I might wait it out for while.

We haven't been here a whole year, so I can't compare with the past - but
the apple I thought I'd take down before it fell down might now fall down
under the weight of fruit, and we have loads of damsons.

Cambs FWIW.

You are just showing off now ;-)

Lucky you

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 27-08-2014, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

One cherry tree had more flowers than it ever has and yet not one cherry.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-08-2014, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-27 07:24:30 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Ophelia" wrote
[...]

Sounds like the world needs a few more apiarists. even a single hive
could make a difference for miles around.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-08-2014, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

Oh((

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 27-08-2014, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-26 20:28:56 +0000, Vir Campestris said:

On 26/08/2014 17:36, Ophelia wrote:
Well it's an idea, but I do love my plums and have had wonderful crops in
other years in other gardens. I might wait it out for while.

We haven't been here a whole year, so I can't compare with the past -
but the apple I thought I'd take down before it fell down might now
fall down under the weight of fruit, and we have loads of damsons.

Cambs FWIW.

Andy

You are the *perfect* example of always waiting at least one whole year
before doing anything irreversible in a garden!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-08-2014, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

[...]

Honey bees are notoriously lazy, they get up later than bumbles and go to
bed earlier. It is true that our bee keepers moved from this allotment site
a couple of years ago but one later flowering tree did have a good crop as
have apples on our site so it wasn't the lack of bees but the lack of bees
around at the time of flowering. It wasn't that cold a spring but very wet
and I wonder if that was the reason.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-08-2014, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-08-27 22:06:15 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

[...]

It could be. They certainly won't work in wet weather and they're not
mad about the cold, either. But if you keep bees you'll get honey, as
well as germination, in a half decent year. We have had a lot of
bumbles and quite a lot of honey bees this year. On a sunny day,
bumbles will work in January. But one of the biggest enemies of bees
and other widlife is an over-tidy garden. They all need somewhere to
nest and sit out the winter, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-08-2014, 04:43 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Default What goes around, comes around...

Ahh my stalker follows me here. He needs to see a doctor. He is obsessed
with me.

I never wrote any of that stuff.

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Judith' you really need to see a doctor, you are obsessed with me.

"Ophelia" wrote in message
I DIDN'T WRITE THIS:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:17:28 +0100, David Hill

wrote:

On 28/08/2014 09:13, 'Mike' wrote:
David when I asked this question of changing subjects and leaving
long
threads open and not trimming, on the changing subjects side, I was
told
in no uncertain terms it is 'thread drift'. I took it that it was
'allowed'. With regards to the trimming aspect, I have drawn
attention
to the Rules and Regulations that trimming/snipping/pruning should
take
place. However on this forum, there seems to be those who write
their
own rules .................................

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 - 8.00 pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014
'From the Crowe's Nest'

"David Hill" wrote in message

Why cant people open NEW threads when they change topic?
It was pure chance I saw Spiders reply about Climbing Hydrangers.
I'd given up on "pruning these young apple trees" as I have nothing
add to the thread.
The same goes for "What goes around, comes around" which after a
long
thread changed to "Plumb tree" with now 45 posts and very little
trimming.
Come on peoples, you can do better than this.

Thread drift is one thing but when you put in a new header and a new
topic then it should be posted as a new thread

As my DH says, who died and elected you king (moderator)! LOL.

This is a gardening group, we graft sometimes)));

Old 28-08-2014, 04:50 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 28/08/2014 16:43, Ophelia wrote:

Ahh my stalker follows me here. He needs to see a doctor. He is obsessed
with me.

I never wrote any of that stuff.

Hi Judith. It looks like the eostrogen replacement is having a bad
impact on your psyche.