GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chewed Vegetables (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/210488-chewed-vegetables.html)

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 17-08-2014 08:39 PM

Chewed Vegetables

A few days away with grandchildren ended with a mess in the
garden.

Courgettes have been eaten right into the middle, obviously
with some clear teeth marks - but what? Hedgehog? mouse/rat?
vole?

Spinach (beet) leaves have also been eaten down to the central
spine, but the chard, next to it is untouched. I suspect birds,
possibly sparrows, of which we have hordes around at the moment
(& probably angry that the feeders were empty!).

Any other possible culprits?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Vir Campestris 17-08-2014 10:06 PM

Chewed Vegetables

On 17/08/2014 20:39, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Courgettes have been eaten right into the middle, obviously
with some clear teeth marks - but what? Hedgehog? mouse/rat?
vole?

Not hedgehog. They are carnivores, and a great asset in your garden.
(slugs, snails, you name it)

Andy