GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rust (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/210493-rust.html)

thescullster 18-08-2014 08:57 AM

Rust

Hi all

My broadbeans have been hit by rust in the last month.
Fortunately, the crop is almost over and doesn't seem to have been affected.

Last year I had problems with garlic rust which passed to a number of
onions.

I removed all the offending garlic and onions and didn't compost these.

The recommendation I read was to not grow onions/garlic again in the
same spot the year after - one reason for putting broad beans there.

The questions:

Is it likely that the rust on the broad beans has come from the ground
and this is infected? Or is this simply a fresh outbreak?
Can the ground be treated if it is a carry over from last year?

Thanks

Phil

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 18-08-2014 09:15 AM

Rust

In article , thescullster wrote:

My broadbeans have been hit by rust in the last month.
Fortunately, the crop is almost over and doesn't seem to have been affected.

That is normal. I have had one year in 35 when rust was bad enough
on them to significantly affect the crop.

Last year I had problems with garlic rust which passed to a number of
onions.

Again common, unfortunately.

I removed all the offending garlic and onions and didn't compost these.

It wouldn't have mattered.

The recommendation I read was to not grow onions/garlic again in the
same spot the year after - one reason for putting broad beans there.

Nothing to do with rust - that's for things like white rot.

The questions:

Is it likely that the rust on the broad beans has come from the ground
and this is infected? Or is this simply a fresh outbreak?

No and yes, respectively. And the rusts are probably different
species, anyway. The rusts are wind-borne fungi that overwinter
on related weed species, and an outbreak is caused by weather
conditions. There is effectively damn-all you can do about it.
Benomyl will work, but it is now illegal for private gardeners
to use, because it is teratogenic.

Can the ground be treated if it is a carry over from last year?

No, and it isn't even for things like white rot that ARE soil-
borne fungi.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

thescullster 18-08-2014 04:57 PM

Rust

On 18/08/2014 09:15, Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]

Thanks Nick

Guess I'll just have to live with the scruffy looking plants!

Phil