GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to prune an old apple tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/210533-re-how-prune-old-apple-tree.html)

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 27-08-2014 11:07 AM

How to prune an old apple tree

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
We've had the one on pruning a young one. I've got one that's perhaps
25ft tall (which is making picking ... interesting... ) and also has a
nice woodpecker hole in the trunk.

Is there any chance of me getting it back to something sensible so I can
get fruit (which are BTW quite nice) or should I just give up and stew
windfalls?

If it's as old as I think it is, leave it. You can prune apples
back very hard, but old ones don't always respond well. They are
not long-lived trees.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.