Old 27-08-2014, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fruit tree grase bands?

I have had loads of problems with pests this year but on looking into it it
appears my two worst problems Coddling moth on apples and Plum moth on
plums, both have females that fly and therefore grease bands don't work. I
shall be trying pheromone traps next year.

The point of the post to ask what grease bands are for? I used them when I
first started gardening but never since, at the time I thought they stopped
coddling moth, since they don't work for them what do they stop?

While we are on fruit trees, does anyone have a cure for pear midge?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 28-08-2014, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fruit tree grease bands?

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
I have had loads of problems with pests this year but on looking into it it
appears my two worst problems Coddling moth on apples and Plum moth on
plums, both have females that fly and therefore grease bands don't work. I
shall be trying pheromone traps next year.

The point of the post to ask what grease bands are for? I used them when I
first started gardening but never since, at the time I thought they
stopped coddling moth, since they don't work for them what do they stop?

While we are on fruit trees, does anyone have a cure for pear midge?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Just noticed the typo I of course meant Grease Bands

Old 28-08-2014, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/08/2014 18:23, Charlie Pridham wrote:
I have had loads of problems with pests this year but on looking into it
it appears my two worst problems Coddling moth on apples and Plum moth
on plums, both have females that fly and therefore grease bands don't
work. I shall be trying pheromone traps next year.

I can't comment on the grease bands (or the pear midge) I'm afraid.

But I have found the pheromone traps very effective against Codling and
Plum moths - although I've only ever used the ones that you get in the
garden centres. Don't know if there are more industrial versions
available. And even the refills aren't cheap.

In recent years, they seem to have had their advertised function changed
to being 'indicators' rather than solutions. (Once you see the males
getting caught in the trap, I guess you are supposed to launch the
nuclear option - whatever that might be).

However, I've continued to use them as my only form of defence. They
either work well, or my area is not very susceptible to the moths. (The
traps trap them, but in the tens, not in the hundreds).

--
regards andy
Old 28-08-2014, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"News" wrote in message
[...]

All useful to know - thanks