Old 30-08-2014, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cistus ladanifer RIP?

Mine (grown from wild collected seed) had exceeded the size
Bean thinks is normal, and was straggling enough to be a
nuisance, so I have cut it right down. Now, I know that Cistus
are supposed to hate that, but there are some shoots from old
wood, and some of the other information about Cistus seems to
be mistaken. E.g. it is NOT tender with me, which could be
the seed, or could be because it isn't really tender but hates
waterlogging.

Now, what bets on what will happen? My guess is that it will
sprout feebly, in which case I will remove it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-08-2014, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:

Mine (grown from wild collected seed) had exceeded the size
Bean thinks is normal, and was straggling enough to be a
nuisance, so I have cut it right down. Now, I know that Cistus
are supposed to hate that, but there are some shoots from old
wood, and some of the other information about Cistus seems to
be mistaken. E.g. it is NOT tender with me, which could be
the seed, or could be because it isn't really tender but hates
waterlogging.

Now, what bets on what will happen? My guess is that it will
sprout feebly, in which case I will remove it.

IME they grow well for a few years here but are shortlived .. five
years if you're lucky.

Yes, but here is a much more suitable climate (and possibly soil).

I'd take cuttings from the new shoots and start planning what to plant
in the grave of their parent.

Already in hand :-) Thanks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.