Old 31-08-2014, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slug eats slug

On 31/08/2014 10:22, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 09:21:15 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 09:03:00 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Interesting thread because when we see a slug in the gardens, especially on
the slab path/patio or in a gavel area, we pour boiling water on them 'for
the Frog's supper' and sure enough in the morning no trace. However the
slugs could have had the supper then?

Mike

Ah - now that sounds much better than salt.

My partner asked me last week - why was there a circular dead patch of grass
on the lawn. I commented that it was where they had recently salted a slug.
Since then I have been wary of the salt water/slime solution running off the
path on to the flower bed.

Boiling water sounds like a better plan.

Beer in a saucer works better.

What a load of wimps!
Salt.
Boiling Water.
Beer.

Just get the slug in your hand with its head in the crook of your fore
finger then remove the head with your thumb. as if you were going to
flick a cherry stone.
If you are to squeamish for that just squish them under foot. That way
they are nicely spread for their friends to share later.
David @ a now sunny side of Swansea Bay.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

You missed off:

And then wash your hands in Swarfega to remove the slime from them.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 09:17:09 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 08:54:42 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

snip

Also provides good bait, squash one early then you can squash the
feeders as well a bit later.

Yes - I had thought of that this morning: there was another on the now three
dead slugs tucking in. (It had rained in the night and must have washed all of
the salt away -so he was quite happy to eat his unsalted ex-mates).

I thought if I leave the little pile, it will attract fresh ones. Salt the new
one - wash off the salt next morning - and this show could run and run !!

Another point is that some of them are really huge: well about five inches,
light brown in colour and red "fins" on the edge of the body with the
underside.

I had not particularly noticed such ones before - loads of 2" ones- often
black.

I then wondered: how would a different species of slug get in to my garden: it
is totally fenced/walled.

But surely we want to keep the carniverous slugs which prey on other
slugs? I had understood that while many (most?) slugs are herbiverous
and damage plants, not all are.

----

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay underlying soil worked for many decades.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/08/2014 09:27, 'Mike' wrote:
Judith I understand that the salt treatment is very painful and
therefore cruel and sorry I don't wish to impose cruelty on anything

Apart from this news group, of course

--
regards andy
Old 02-09-2014, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin have you heard the expression 'Don't feed the trolls'? No? Well,
please don't feed the trolls.

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

"Martin" wrote in message

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 12:45:31 +0100, News wrote:

On 31/08/2014 09:27, 'Mike' wrote:
Judith I understand that the salt treatment is very painful and
therefore cruel and sorry I don't wish to impose cruelty on anything

Apart from this news group, of course

where he rubs salt into open wounds.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/09/2014 17:05, 'Mike' wrote:
Martin have you heard the expression 'Don't feed the trolls'? No? Well,
please don't feed the trolls

Flippin' 'eck. The man really does inhabit a different reality.

--
regards andy
Old 03-09-2014, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/09/2014 10:20, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 09:54:01 +0100, News wrote:

On 02/09/2014 17:05, 'Mike' wrote:
Martin have you heard the expression 'Don't feed the trolls'? No? Well,
please don't feed the trolls

Flippin' 'eck. The man really does inhabit a different reality.

A different universe?

Nah. This is all just wishful thinking.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 07-09-2014, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote in message

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating the
body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

I had a slug in my house leaving slime trails on my carpets overnight for
weeks. Today I saw him and he is now gone. I didn't kill him I put him
outside. He was quite a big one.
I do prefer not to kill if possible.

Old 25-09-2014, 04:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 19:57:34 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Judith in England" wrote in message
. ..

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just
now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating
the
body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

I had a slug in my house leaving slime trails on my carpets overnight for
weeks. Today I saw him and he is now gone. I didn't kill him I put him
outside. He was quite a big one.
I do prefer not to kill if possible.

Even moles?

Yes, tell me how to get rid of moles wthout killing them

The slug will be back.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old 25-09-2014, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/09/2014 09:09, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Judith in
England writes

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just
now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating
the body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

Several species are carnivores and will eat other slugs.

I saw what appeared to be 2 slugs feeding on a snail the other day.
What's more, my impression was that the snail was still alive.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 25-09-2014, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/09/2014 16:41, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Spider
writes
On 25/09/2014 09:09, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Judith in
England writes

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just
now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating
the body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

Several species are carnivores and will eat other slugs.

I saw what appeared to be 2 slugs feeding on a snail the other day.
What's more, my impression was that the snail was still alive.

Somehow "nature red in tooth and claw" doesn't seem very appropriate :-)

I know what you mean. The pace of it is so languid that it has none of
the raw urgency of animal and some bird kills. Further, the claw is
missing, but whether we can call the rasping mouthparts of gastropods
"teeth", I'm not so sure.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 25-09-2014, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/09/2014 12:55, Spider wrote:
On 25/09/2014 09:09, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Judith in
England writes

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just
now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating
the body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

Several species are carnivores and will eat other slugs.

I saw what appeared to be 2 slugs feeding on a snail the other day.
What's more, my impression was that the snail was still alive.

Just 2 mollusk bailiffs trying to evict a non payer.
Old 25-09-2014, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/09/2014 18:33, david wrote:
On 25/09/2014 12:55, Spider wrote:
On 25/09/2014 09:09, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Judith in
England writes

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just
now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating
the body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

Several species are carnivores and will eat other slugs.

I saw what appeared to be 2 slugs feeding on a snail the other day.
What's more, my impression was that the snail was still alive.

Just 2 mollusk bailiffs trying to evict a non payer.

LOL! Nice one.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 27-09-2014, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Judith in England" wrote in message
. ..

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just
now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating
the
body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

I had a slug in my house leaving slime trails on my carpets overnight for
weeks. Today I saw him and he is now gone. I didn't kill him I put him
outside. He was quite a big one.
I do prefer not to kill if possible.

Even moles?

Yes. There comes a point at which you have to set a trap for it. and fail..

The slug will be back.

maybe so but he will be put out again. At the end of the road.
I do try not to kill anything if I can help it. but sometimes it's
necessary with slugs and snails.
Got a basil plant. Had it outside overnight. Almost destroyed by snails in
a few hours.