Old 30-08-2014, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slug eats slug

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating the body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

Old 31-08-2014, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote ...

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating the
body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

Friend told me last week that his grandson dropped a cheese sandwich in his
garden and a short while later it was covered in slugs that devoured the
lot, nothing left the next morning. Never heard of that before.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-08-2014, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/08/2014 23:16, Judith in England wrote:

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating the body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

Quite normal.
If you squash a slug early evening you will often find its "Friends"
making a meal of it within a couple of hours.
They do the same if you squash it later, but I doubt you would go out in
the early hours to see it being eaten.
It does save having to clean up.
Also provides good bait, squash one early then you can squash the
feeders as well a bit later.
Old 31-08-2014, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Interesting thread because when we see a slug in the gardens, especially on
the slab path/patio or in a gavel area, we pour boiling water on them 'for
the Frog's supper' and sure enough in the morning no trace. However the
slugs could have had the supper then?

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

Old 31-08-2014, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 08:54:42 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

snip

Also provides good bait, squash one early then you can squash the
feeders as well a bit later.

Yes - I had thought of that this morning: there was another on the now three
dead slugs tucking in. (It had rained in the night and must have washed all of
the salt away -so he was quite happy to eat his unsalted ex-mates).

I thought if I leave the little pile, it will attract fresh ones. Salt the new
one - wash off the salt next morning - and this show could run and run !!

Another point is that some of them are really huge: well about five inches,
light brown in colour and red "fins" on the edge of the body with the
underside.

I had not particularly noticed such ones before - loads of 2" ones- often
black.

I then wondered: how would a different species of slug get in to my garden: it
is totally fenced/walled.

Old 31-08-2014, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 09:03:00 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Interesting thread because when we see a slug in the gardens, especially on
the slab path/patio or in a gavel area, we pour boiling water on them 'for
the Frog's supper' and sure enough in the morning no trace. However the
slugs could have had the supper then?

Mike

Ah - now that sounds much better than salt.

My partner asked me last week - why was there a circular dead patch of grass
on the lawn. I commented that it was where they had recently salted a slug.
Since then I have been wary of the salt water/slime solution running off the
path on to the flower bed.

Boiling water sounds like a better plan.

Old 31-08-2014, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith I understand that the salt treatment is very painful and therefore
cruel and sorry I don't wish to impose cruelty on anything, therefore the
boiling water is very quick. Not just a dab but a prolonged dousing. If we
have a lot of snails then we gather them in a bucket and pour boiling water
into that. Painful no doubt, but hopefully fast.

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

news

Old 31-08-2014, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 09:27:59 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Judith I understand that the salt treatment is very painful and therefore
cruel and sorry I don't wish to impose cruelty on anything, therefore the
boiling water is very quick. Not just a dab but a prolonged dousing. If we
have a lot of snails then we gather them in a bucket and pour boiling water
into that. Painful no doubt, but hopefully fast.

Mike

I throw them over the fence!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 31-08-2014, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Judith I understand that the salt treatment is very painful and therefore
cruel and sorry I don't wish to impose cruelty on anything, therefore the
boiling water is very quick. Not just a dab but a prolonged dousing. If we
have a lot of snails then we gather them in a bucket and pour boiling water
into that. Painful no doubt, but hopefully fast.

Mike

I throw them over the fence!

Much more humane (I find if I throw them over the fence between me and
the neighbour whose been the biggest pain, then it's almost cathartic).
Old 31-08-2014, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Judith I understand that the salt treatment is very painful

I always thought that slugs did not feel pain. However, you may well be
correct - but I could not find any hard and fast scientific evidence that they
do.

Most seemed to extrapolate form experiments on other things.

Quite an interesting page at:

https://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/avedgewo...do_slugs_feel/

Anyway - you may well be correct - and I like the idea of boiling water.

So no more salted-slugs for tea for me ;-)

Old 31-08-2014, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Judith I understand that the salt treatment is very painful and therefore
cruel and sorry I don't wish to impose cruelty on anything, therefore the
boiling water is very quick. Not just a dab but a prolonged dousing. If we
have a lot of snails then we gather them in a bucket and pour boiling water
into that. Painful no doubt, but hopefully fast.

Mike

I throw them over the fence!

Steve

I don't know the name of one of my neighbours - I bet it's you, you bugger !!

Old 31-08-2014, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/31/2014 5:22 AM, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 09:21:15 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:
My partner asked me last week - why was there a circular dead patch of grass
on the lawn. I commented that it was where they had recently salted a slug.
Since then I have been wary of the salt water/slime solution running off the
path on to the flower bed.

Boiling water sounds like a better plan.

Beer in a saucer works better.

And they die drunk and happy...
Old 31-08-2014, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Judith I understand that the salt treatment is very painful and therefore
cruel and sorry I don't wish to impose cruelty on anything, therefore the
boiling water is very quick. Not just a dab but a prolonged dousing. If we
have a lot of snails then we gather them in a bucket and pour boiling water
into that. Painful no doubt, but hopefully fast.

Mike

I throw them over the fence!

Steve

I don't know the name of one of my neighbours - I bet it's you, you bugger !!

It's not me but if you ask nicely I can find you some.

Steve

Old 31-08-2014, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well I don't drink beer and they are certainly not going to get the
opportunity to die happy on my Whiskey. That is for Medicinal purposes only
on Doctor's advice/permission. (But I can't get it on prescription I am
afraid)

Old 31-08-2014, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/08/2014 23:16, Judith in England wrote:

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating the body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

I have, though not following salt application. They also tuck into fox
and dog turds. Nice to know they're useful for something.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London