Old 31-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Registered User

Default Any one use a Stihl HL100 hedge trimmer

The wife is of the opinion we should get a Stihl HL100 petrol long reach hedge trimmer. Does anyone use one and can give me an opinion on this product? It's a lot of money to spend but I can see it will make cutting the hedges quicker and easier

thanks smiler44
Old 31-08-2014, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Don't know how much hedge you have got, but my daughter and son in law
looked at something similar, if not the same, and decided that for the cost
and the maintenance etc, it was cheaper to get someone in to do their
hedges. Have to admit that they don't have a lot because a quarter of a mile
of their boundary is walled.

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

--
smiler44

Old 31-08-2014, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , smiler44.e78db26
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

The wife is of the opinion we should get a Stihl HL100 petrol long reach
hedge trimmer. Does anyone use one and can give me an opinion on this
product? It's a lot of money to spend but I can see it will make cutting
the hedges quicker and easier

I would strongly recommend you to rent one first from a hire place,
especially if your wife is planning to use it herself. That way you'll
soon find out if either of you has enough upper-body muscle/back
strength and stamina, to support and manouevre it long enough to cut the
hedge.

Janet.

Old 31-08-2014, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/08/2014 12:14, smiler44 wrote:

The wife is of the opinion we should get a Stihl HL100 petrol long reach
hedge trimmer. Does anyone use one and can give me an opinion on this
product? It's a lot of money to spend but I can see it will make cutting
the hedges quicker and easier

thanks smiler44

I'd have a word with your local Stihl dealer and see what price he will
give you on a straight shaft brushcutter with loop handle that will take
a hedge cutter head,.
Mine also has a chain saw head all interchangeable.
Could well come out at around the same price as the hedge cutter on its own.
I find it hard work to use for long, but 5 minutes cutting then the next
few minutes clearing up before the next cut.
My hedge is around 10 ft tall and still cut-able, being able to change
the angle of the blade for the top is a great help.
Well worth looking at if you have a lot of hedge to cut, and a lot less
hard work than the petrol trimmer I have as well.
David

Old 01-09-2014, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"smiler44" wrote in message

The wife is of the opinion we should get a Stihl HL100 petrol long reach
hedge trimmer. Does anyone use one and can give me an opinion on this
product? It's a lot of money to spend but I can see it will make cutting
the hedges quicker and easier

thanks smiler44

My son uses one for his business, he has all the attachments and it does a
good job, but you need to be strong and fit to use it as it is very hard on
the arm and shoulder muscles. Much faster than having to keep moving a
working platform though.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 02-09-2014, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"smiler44" wrote in message

The wife is of the opinion we should get a Stihl HL100 petrol long reach
hedge trimmer. Does anyone use one and can give me an opinion on this
product? It's a lot of money to spend but I can see it will make cutting
the hedges quicker and easier

My son uses one for his business, he has all the attachments and it does a
good job, but you need to be strong and fit to use it as it is very hard on
the arm and shoulder muscles.

I don't have a petrol Stihl, but I bought a mains electric Ryobi
long-reach a couple of years ago: big mistake: I hardly ever use it: it
really does my _lower back_ in.

Could be that a new Li-On type battery long-reach would be better, where
the weight of the battery will counterbalance the head.
googles
Oh! I see Stihl do one! http://tinyurl.com/q4vphu5

I'd love to try it, but I can't yet "spring" for Li-On powered kit --
let alone Yet Another Hedge Trimmer!

John
Old 05-09-2014, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:14:03 PM UTC+1, smiler44 wrote:
The wife is of the opinion we should get a Stihl HL100 petrol long reach hedge trimmer. Does anyone use one and can give me an opinion on this product? It's a lot of money to spend but I can see it will make cutting the hedges quicker and easier thanks smiler44 -- smiler44

The petrol engine is very heavy (as mentioned above) and noisy 80 db. What about the battery one?