Old 02-09-2014, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Skin stuff

Whenever the question of insect repellant arises, in this and other
newsgroups, Avon skinsosoft is usually recommended. On looking at Avon's
online shop they appear to have several products under this name. Which one
or doesn't it matter?

Old 02-09-2014, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Simples. Go into Boots and get their 'Jungle Formula Insect Repellent'. 'For
use at home and abroad' and when we went on our World Cruise that is what
we took and can highly recommend it.

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

o.uk...

Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-02 16:07:47 +0000, Tahiri said:

Whenever the question of insect repellant arises, in this and other
newsgroups, Avon skinsosoft is usually recommended. On looking at
Avon's online shop they appear to have several products under this
name. Which one or doesn't it matter?

Avon Skin So Soft Original Dry Oil Body Spray with Jojoba and
Citronellol 150 ml - Pack of 2

I use it myself and it works. The blurb says:
" Product Description
Avon's Dry Oil Body Spray comes highly recommended an ideal BODY LOTION
designed to LOCK IN MOISTURE after a bath/shower or FOR DRY SKIN. You
can also use it during the Summer and when you're on HOLIDAY as a GREAT
substitute INSECT & MOSQUITO REPELLENT. It can be used by campers,
fishermen, hikers, gardeners and others who work outside. You can even
use it on cats, dogs and horses to keep the flies away (some of our
customers buy boxes of this spray to use on their horses during the
Summer). As a Scottish newspaper reported '......... Instead of using
mosquito repellent issued by their unit, soldiers and workers at the
base are buying Avon body lotion to repel midges on the West Coast. A
stores sergeant at 45 Commando, based at Arbroath, said: "There is
nothing effeminate about it. The reason the Marines are using it is
because it is good kit. It works. It's as simple as that".....It has
also been claimed that both the US army and the SAS use it as mosquito
repellent in the jungle. ' Contains - Citronellol from Citronella oil
which helps to repel blood-feeding mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas. 150ml
per bottle. AVON SKIN SO SOFT DRY OIL BODY SPRAY. 150ml. PLEASE NOTE
that Avon are changing the design of this bottle so the bottle you
receive may look different from that shown in the photograph. They are
also changing the name of the item to Skin So Soft ORIGINAL Dry Oil
Spray. PLEASE NOTE that when the oil in this bottle becomes cold it
solidifies. Simply place the bottle in a warm room and it will become
liquid again."

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tahiri wrote:

Whenever the question of insect repellant arises, in this and other
newsgroups, Avon skinsosoft is usually recommended. On looking at Avon's
online shop they appear to have several products under this name. Which one
or doesn't it matter?

Against what? Against the wimpish insects that occur over most of
the UK, anything will do. Against Scottish midges, DTE (Jungle
Formula etc.) has some effect. Against the nastier insects you
get in the tropics, DMP has some effect, but you can't get it any
longer.

Realistically, the best defence is to cover up, not forgetting
midge masks etc. and the fact that mosquitoes etc. can bite through
thin clothing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Thanks Sacha. That will do nicely.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-09-2014, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Whenever the question of insect repellant arises, in this and other
newsgroups, Avon skinsosoft is usually recommended. On looking at Avon's
online shop they appear to have several products under this name. Which
one
or doesn't it matter?

Against what? Against the wimpish insects that occur over most of
the UK, anything will do. Against Scottish midges, DTE (Jungle
Formula etc.) has some effect. Against the nastier insects you
get in the tropics, DMP has some effect, but you can't get it any
longer.

Realistically, the best defence is to cover up, not forgetting
midge masks etc. and the fact that mosquitoes etc. can bite through
thin clothing.

I am not sure what we are targeting Nick. Something very very small that is
only in our rural garden (worse in the outbuildings) for a few weeks in
summer. I suspect mice fleas or something like that.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tahiri wrote:

I am not sure what we are targeting Nick. Something very very small that is
only in our rural garden (worse in the outbuildings) for a few weeks in
summer. I suspect mice fleas or something like that.

I.e. most of the bites are on your lower legs?

With such things, the best defence is long trousers tucked into
socks, previously having had their lower halves soaked in some
repellent. It doesn't have to be fancy - very dilute Jeyes
fluid would be fine (if you can stand the smell).

Being worse in outbuildings does imply some sort of animal-carried
parasite, but it could easily be mites or lice as fleas - anyway,
the same defence works. I assume that you would recognise ticks,
so it won't be them :-)

However, my previous point stands. ANYTHING will discourage most
of the biting insects over most of the UK, Scottish midges are
harder to discourage, and people travelling to the tropics need
to take advice targetted for the area.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-02 16:29:21 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Tahiri wrote:

Whenever the question of insect repellant arises, in this and other
newsgroups, Avon skinsosoft is usually recommended. On looking at Avon's
online shop they appear to have several products under this name. Which one
or doesn't it matter?

Against what? Against the wimpish insects that occur over most of
the UK, anything will do. Against Scottish midges, DTE (Jungle
Formula etc.) has some effect. Against the nastier insects you
get in the tropics, DMP has some effect, but you can't get it any
longer.

Realistically, the best defence is to cover up, not forgetting
midge masks etc. and the fact that mosquitoes etc. can bite through
thin clothing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick, it really isn't wimpish to want protection from English
mosquitoes. One of my daughters has a horrible reaction to mosquito
bites and ended up on abtibiotics only a month ago. This not the first
time for her, either. In past years she's ended up with eyes swollen
almost shut. Not everyone can shrug things off so lightly. My stepson
has had several horsefly bites with no more than discomfort, another
member of our team had to go to hospital with just one. As far as Skin
So Soft is concerned, it's effective. If Canadian lumberjacks use it -
and I'm told, reliably, that they do, why would you mock someone for
wanting to protect themselves from discomfort or worse? Not everyone
wants to test Tsetse fly protection to destruction in the gardens of
England.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-09-2014, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Nick, it really isn't wimpish to want protection from English
mosquitoes. ...

I said that the insects were wimpish, not the people!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

Whenever the question of insect repellant arises, in this and other
newsgroups, Avon skinsosoft is usually recommended. On looking at Avon's
online shop they appear to have several products under this name. Which one
or doesn't it matter?

Against what? Against the wimpish insects that occur over most of
the UK, anything will do. Against Scottish midges, DTE (Jungle
Formula etc.) has some effect. Against the nastier insects you
get in the tropics, DMP has some effect, but you can't get it any
longer.

Realistically, the best defence is to cover up, not forgetting
midge masks etc. and the fact that mosquitoes etc. can bite through
thin clothing.

I offered a bottle to an army friend who was going on exercise in
Canadian swamps. I wasn't sure if he'd use it but on his return he
said all his group used it and none got bitten tho mozzies were
abundant!

Lots of people report that citronella is about as effective (or
ineffective) as DTE - I haven't used it myself. But my point
above stands - according to everything I have read, it will give
SOME protection against Scottish midges, and is NBG as a defence
in the tropics. And I can witness both are true for DTE.

While I have heard that Canadian mosquitoes are bad, none of the
people I have heard it from have had any experience of either
Scottish midges or the nastier tropical insects. So I am keeping
an open mind.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-02 21:51:32 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Nick, it really isn't wimpish to want protection from English
mosquitoes. ...

I said that the insects were wimpish, not the people!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sounded like guilt by association to me!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/2/2014 5:37 PM, Sacha wrote:

Nick, it really isn't wimpish to want protection from English
mosquitoes. One of my daughters has a horrible reaction to mosquito
bites and ended up on abtibiotics only a month ago. This not the first
time for her, either. In past years she's ended up with eyes swollen
almost shut. Not everyone can shrug things off so lightly. My stepson
has had several horsefly bites with no more than discomfort, another
member of our team had to go to hospital with just one. As far as Skin
So Soft is concerned, it's effective. If Canadian lumberjacks use it -
and I'm told, reliably, that they do, why would you mock someone for
wanting to protect themselves from discomfort or worse? Not everyone
wants to test Tsetse fly protection to destruction in the gardens of
England.

The manager of the sheep farm across the road from me, claims that
Skin-So-Soft works very well, but wears off quickly and must be
reapplied frequently. The midges here are truly vicious.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 03:26:39 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

The manager of the sheep farm across the road from me, claims that
Skin-So-Soft works very well, but wears off quickly and must be
reapplied frequently. The midges here are truly vicious.

It's a subject of Snopes

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

That's about mosquitoes.

Scottish midges are an entirely different insect species which IME are
deterred by Avon skinsosoft exactly as Sheila said.

Janet, in Scotland.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

t...

wrote:

The manager of the sheep farm across the road from me, claims that
Skin-So-Soft works very well, but wears off quickly and must be
reapplied frequently. The midges here are truly vicious.

It's a subject of Snopes

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

That's about mosquitoes.

Scottish midges are an entirely different insect species which IME are
deterred by Avon skinsosoft exactly as Sheila said.

Agreed, we are not talking about American mosquitos - we are
talking about Scottish Midges!

Ardmhor