Old 02-09-2014, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter cabbages and caulis now

We are a bit fed up, our winter cabbages Tundra and late winter cauliflowers
are ready now whilst the beans are still producing. I see lots going onto
the compost heap as they won't last as they do in winter, and then next
winter there won't be anything other than sprouts.
Anyone else found their winter veg has rushed to maturity this year?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-09-2014, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote
BobH says...

We are a bit fed up, our winter cabbages Tundra and late winter
cauliflowers
are ready now whilst the beans are still producing. I see lots going onto
the compost heap as they won't last as they do in winter, and then next
winter there won't be anything other than sprouts.
Anyone else found their winter veg has rushed to maturity this year?

Yes, to a certain extent. The curly Kale, both green and
purple, is ready to eat, but as it is still growing well, I'm
hoping that if I pick a few leaves each week, it will keep up
the good work until winter really arrives! (We did have an
overnight temp down to 4șC the other week)

Cabbages are begining to heart up, but not ready yet.

Sprouts are laging, only about 18" high, with just a few little
sprouts begining to show.

Purple Sprouting Brocoli is growing away like mad (bigger now
that it usually is in the spring), but as yet, no sign of any
sprouting!

Took a drive down to West Dean Garden today and noticed their winter
cabbages were also ready now. Strange.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Winter Cabbages Anne United Kingdom 1 07-12-2013 04:35 PM
Winter caulis in Polytunnel? Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 18 21-01-2013 02:05 PM
Hmmm - caulis Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 10-09-2007 10:44 AM
Growing Cabbages (and Sprouts, and Cauliflowers) John Vanini United Kingdom 11 18-08-2007 06:12 PM
Ornamental Cabbages Over Winter Zone 4/5? weft2 Gardening 7 22-11-2005 05:55 PM