Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heritage tomatoes

I bought a tomato plant which advertised that variety had been used in the
Arctic and I thought it might be easy to grow (well this is Scotland) They
are huge with deep dents in a pattern all the way around. The first one to
colour is going a very deep brownish colour. Is that normal?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 05-09-2014, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/09/2014 12:26, Ophelia wrote:
I bought a tomato plant which advertised that variety had been used in
the Arctic and I thought it might be easy to grow (well this is
Scotland) They are huge with deep dents in a pattern all the way
around. The first one to colour is going a very deep brownish colour.
Is that normal?

Depends on the variety.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...es&FORM=RESTAB
Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 05/09/2014 12:26, Ophelia wrote:
I bought a tomato plant which advertised that variety had been used in
the Arctic and I thought it might be easy to grow (well this is
Scotland) They are huge with deep dents in a pattern all the way
around. The first one to colour is going a very deep brownish colour.
Is that normal?

Depends on the variety.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...es&FORM=RESTAB

I can see a few similar there, but I don't know. So far as I remember, it
just said 'Heritage tomato' on the tag.

Ok, my fault and I will take much greater care in the future

Thank you!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 05-09-2014, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/09/2014 13:44, Ophelia wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 05/09/2014 12:26, Ophelia wrote:
I bought a tomato plant which advertised that variety had been used in
the Arctic and I thought it might be easy to grow (well this is
Scotland) They are huge with deep dents in a pattern all the way
around. The first one to colour is going a very deep brownish colour.
Is that normal?

Depends on the variety.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...es&FORM=RESTAB

I can see a few similar there, but I don't know. So far as I remember,
it just said 'Heritage tomato' on the tag.

Ok, my fault and I will take much greater care in the future

Thank you!

More important, are they nice?
Would you grow them again?
If the answer is yes to either then save some seed for next year.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 05/09/2014 12:26, Ophelia wrote:
I bought a tomato plant which advertised that variety had been used in
the Arctic and I thought it might be easy to grow (well this is
Scotland) They are huge with deep dents in a pattern all the way
around. The first one to colour is going a very deep brownish colour.
Is that normal?

Depends on the variety.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...es&FORM=RESTAB

I can see a few similar there, but I don't know. So far as I remember,
it just said 'Heritage tomato' on the tag.

Ok, my fault and I will take much greater care in the future

Thank you!

More important, are they nice?

I don't know yet! I am still watching what happens to it The others are
still green.

Would you grow them again?

Depends on the above!

If the answer is yes to either then save some seed for next year.

What a good idea) (If I do, I will get back to you on the best way to
save them)

Thank you again

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 05-09-2014, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote:

What a good idea) (If I do, I will get back to you on the best way to
save them)

Short form:
scoop out pulp with seeds, dilute 50:50 with water, put in a jar.
give a good shake a couple of times away, leaving the lid a little loose
afterwards.
in 3 days (some tend to sprout if fermented much longer)
Decant pulp and floating seeds, add fresh water, slosh around, let settle,
decant.
Repeat a couple or three times.
pour through a fine sieve to dry....a fan played on them helps.
Voila! clean seeds with little effort!

As for what variety they may be as David said, "Heritage" is ill defined at
best. My climate in (New) York state is colder than Scotland in winter,
warmer in summer, so can give little advice there.

Taste is what matters.
SWMBO says I have none.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote:

What a good idea) (If I do, I will get back to you on the best way to
save them)

Short form:
scoop out pulp with seeds, dilute 50:50 with water, put in a jar.
give a good shake a couple of times away, leaving the lid a little loose
afterwards.
in 3 days (some tend to sprout if fermented much longer)
Decant pulp and floating seeds, add fresh water, slosh around, let settle,
decant.
Repeat a couple or three times.
pour through a fine sieve to dry....a fan played on them helps.
Voila! clean seeds with little effort!

Gosh! That is very kind of you, Gary! Thank you very much!
saved

Would drying them off in the dehydrator help?

As for what variety they may be as David said, "Heritage" is ill defined
at
best. My climate in (New) York state is colder than Scotland in winter,
warmer in summer, so can give little advice there.

Shows you how much I know what to look for

Now I know it is possible this one that is going brown might not be unusual,
I will taste it and decide from there.

Taste is what matters.
SWMBO says I have none.

g I wouldn't dare argue with herself)

Thank you again

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 05-09-2014, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/09/2014 19:17, Gary Woods wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote:

[...]

OR you can just spread the pulp with seeds onto a couple of sheets of
newspaper or kitchen roll or even a few sheets of Loo paper and let then
dry on that then once dry store
Old 05-09-2014, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote:

[...]

Or spread them out on a tray in the dehydrator? Could they end up too dry?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 05-09-2014, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote:

Or spread them out on a tray in the dehydrator? Could they end up too dry?

I'd be cautious of too much heat; the reason for the fermentation folderol
is that it removes the gel capsule around the seeds, so they aren't as
sticky to handle. After drying (I have a couple of old garage
.....erm..boot sale sieves) you can just rub the dry seeds in your hands to
get nice clean loose seed like the store bought ones, only vastly cheaper
(I DID mention the Scots in the family tree, right?). As a bonus with any
home-grown seed, you can pick the plants best adapted to your conditions,
and eventually end up with a local "landrace."

Old 05-09-2014, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 20:53:02 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

dehydrator

OMG! Whatever will they sell us next. When I were a lad, it was called
a desiccator. Perhaps they couldn't spell desiccator. :-)

LOL well I've had this 'thingy' for around 20 years)

(Sorry; feeling a bit frivolous this evening. Must be the whisky!)

I raise you a double G&T ) Cheers

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 05-09-2014, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote:

Or spread them out on a tray in the dehydrator? Could they end up too
dry?

I'd be cautious of too much heat; the reason for the fermentation folderol
is that it removes the gel capsule around the seeds, so they aren't as
sticky to handle.

Right! I could keep the temp down but I will follow your instructions!

After drying (I have a couple of old garage
....erm..boot sale sieves) you can just rub the dry seeds in your hands to
get nice clean loose seed like the store bought ones, only vastly cheaper
(I DID mention the Scots in the family tree, right?). As a bonus with any
home-grown seed, you can pick the plants best adapted to your conditions,
and eventually end up with a local "landrace."

I understood not a tad in your last, but hey ho, at least I will be able to
store seed safely for next year if I want to)

Thank you

Ophelia in err Scotland g

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 06-09-2014, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 22:49:57 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

I raise you a double G&T ) Cheers

And you're in Scotland ? Tut, tut! :-)

Not for me, although I must admit I do like my Drambuie

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/