Old 22-09-2014, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default It's not ginger but what is it?!

It is a plant that looks like ginger. The stems stand about 1.5m tall. The roots look like ginger or turmeric but do not taste like either. I would love to know this plant's ID. Photos he

https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.si...eat=directlink

Can anyone help, please?
Old 22-09-2014, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Compo in Caithness wrote:
It is a plant that looks like ginger. The stems stand about 1.5m tall. The roots look like ginger or turmeric but do not taste like either. I would love to know this plant's ID. Photos he

https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.si...eat=directlink

Quite possibly a decorative ginger of some sort - there are lots.
Sadly, our expert on such things passed away a short time ago.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-09-2014, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.si...eat=directlink

Campsis?

Janet
Old 22-09-2014, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...
https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.si...eat=directlink

Campsis?

Campsis is a woody climber with pinnate, very cut, leaves and much
more symmetric flowers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-09-2014, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Compo in Caithness" wrote in message
It is a plant that looks like ginger. The stems stand about 1.5m tall. The
roots look like ginger or turmeric but do not taste like either. I would
love to know this plant's ID. Photos he

https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.si...eat=directlink

Can anyone help, please?

It is Hedychium greenii a member of the greater ginger family but a
different Genus

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 22-09-2014, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:27:27 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

It is Hedychium greenii a member of the greater ginger family but a
different Genus

+1 for greenii. I have several but haven't convinced them to flower yet,
they seem more reluctant than my other hedychiums.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 22-09-2014, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:32:42 +0000, Emery Davis wrote:

+1 for greenii. I have several but haven't convinced them to flower
yet,
they seem more reluctant than my other hedychiums.

Having just posted I went and looked at it, actually one of them is
putting out a bud!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 22-09-2014, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, 22 September 2014 12:32:42 UTC+1, Emery Davis wrote:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:27:27 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

It is Hedychium greenii a member of the greater ginger family but a

different Genus

+1 for greenii. I have several but haven't convinced them to flower yet,

they seem more reluctant than my other hedychiums.

--

Gardening in Lower Normandy

Mine has flowered at the back of a polytunnel in shade.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, 22 September 2014 09:43:38 UTC+1, Compo in Caithness wrote:
It is a plant that looks like ginger. The stems stand about 1.5m tall. The roots look like ginger or turmeric but do not taste like either. I would love to know this plant's ID. Photos he

https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.si...eat=directlink

Thanks for the replies, gang. First class responses as always
Can anyone help, please?

Old 23-09-2014, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote

Charlie Pridham wrote:

It is Hedychium greenii a member of the greater ginger family but a
different Genus

+1 for greenii. I have several but haven't convinced them to flower yet,
they seem more reluctant than my other hedychiums.

Yes, agree, it's Hedychium greenii. I have two plants one in a pot and one
in the garden and both are flowering at the moment. Likes a lot of water in
the growing season, will even enjoy growing as a bog plant during the
summer. Amazing how quickly those little baby plants that appear where the
flowers were get to be flowering themselves, two years for me.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-09-2014, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 23:20:52 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

Yes, agree, it's Hedychium greenii. I have two plants one in a pot and
one in the garden and both are flowering at the moment. Likes a lot of
water in the growing season, will even enjoy growing as a bog plant
during the summer. Amazing how quickly those little baby plants that
appear where the flowers were get to be flowering themselves, two years
for me.

Mine are in pots but I'd like to get some into the ground. What do you
suppose your minimum temperatures are? I expect the ground does freeze
sometimes, no? I've been concerned about losing hedychiums to too cold
temps, but now that I separated them last year I have lots to experiment
with.

I agree it likes lots of water although I haven't tried it in a bog!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 23-09-2014, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
[...]

Cold is seldom an issue it would need to be -10c for a period to actually
kill them, (You just need to mulch over the crowns) but the evergreen sorts
like greenii need a long warm growing season if they are going to flower
before winter returns, kept evergreen by protecting them they flower
earlier.

Old 23-09-2014, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

Yes, agree, it's Hedychium greenii. I have two plants one in a pot and
one in the garden and both are flowering at the moment. Likes a lot of
water in the growing season, will even enjoy growing as a bog plant
during the summer. Amazing how quickly those little baby plants that
appear where the flowers were get to be flowering themselves, two years
for me.

Mine are in pots but I'd like to get some into the ground. What do you
suppose your minimum temperatures are? I expect the ground does freeze
sometimes, no? I've been concerned about losing hedychiums to too cold
temps, but now that I separated them last year I have lots to experiment
with.

I agree it likes lots of water although I haven't tried it in a bog!

I planted them out in the spring so they haven't gone through a winter and
at the moment I'm considering digging them up and potting them up for the
winter as frost will kill the younger green stems so stopping them flowering
next year. But on the other hand I do have one in a pot so I might just take
a chance and see what happens. I did lose a H densiflorum over winter a few
years ago and that is supposed to be quite hardy.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 29-09-2014, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-09-22 11:32:42 +0000, Emery Davis said:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:27:27 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

It is Hedychium greenii a member of the greater ginger family but a
different Genus

+1 for greenii. I have several but haven't convinced them to flower yet,
they seem more reluctant than my other hedychiums.

Coming very late to this but Raymond says that H greenii usually forms
a bulb where the spent flower is. So if it does that, it should help
with ID.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com