Old 26-09-2014, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default That old chestnut .. and spiders

Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to deter
the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has changed,
should I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy web
and in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost
impossible to see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer to
use the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-09-2014, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/09/2014 12:22, Spider wrote:
Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to deter
the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has changed,
should I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy web
and in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost
impossible to see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer to
use the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).

Never heard of Horse chestnut as a spider deterrent only as an
alternative to Mothballs.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay
Old 26-09-2014, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote

Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to deter the
spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has changed, should
I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy web and
in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost impossible to
see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer to use
the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).

Every year my wife puts conkers in the corners of every room to deter
spiders. I must admit I haven't seen one of those large spiders in the house
for a long time but I did see a small one quite close to the conkers
yesterday but I won't tell the boss.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-09-2014, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/09/2014 12:45, david wrote:
On 26/09/2014 12:22, Spider wrote:
Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to deter
the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has changed,
should I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy web
and in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost
impossible to see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer to
use the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).

Never heard of Horse chestnut as a spider deterrent only as an
alternative to Mothballs.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay

Thanks, David. It's worth keeping them if they keep moths away!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-09-2014, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/09/2014 14:10, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to
deter the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has
changed, should I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here
know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy
web and in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost
impossible to see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer
to use the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).

Every year my wife puts conkers in the corners of every room to deter
spiders. I must admit I haven't seen one of those large spiders in the
house for a long time but I did see a small one quite close to the
conkers yesterday but I won't tell the boss.

I have a friend who does this, too, but they don't seem to know any real
facts. I suggest you don't tell SWMBO, but you could cheer her up by
saying you've heard they deter moths;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-09-2014, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 18:49:15 +0100, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to deter
the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has changed,
should I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy web
and in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost

impossible
to see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer to
use the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).

Spider!!!! Surely tha's not saying us Yorkshire folk are tight?????

Dont 'spect you peeled the chestnut in yer waistcoat pocket then?
--
Jim S
Old 26-09-2014, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-09-2014, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/09/2014 18:49, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to
deter the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has
changed, should I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here
know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy
web and in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost
impossible to see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer
to use the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).

Spider!!!! Surely tha's not saying us Yorkshire folk are tight?????

Nay, lass. We just don't have the inate generosity of the Scots, that's
all ;~)).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-09-2014, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to deter
the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has changed,
should I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy web
and in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost

impossible
to see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer to
use the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).

Spider!!!! Surely tha's not saying us Yorkshire folk are tight?????

Dont 'spect you peeled the chestnut in yer waistcoat pocket then?

Tha's got a waistcoat pocket? Luxury! We had to peel it in a paper bag.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-09-2014, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to
deter the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has
changed, should I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here
know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy
web and in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost
impossible to see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer
to use the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).

Spider!!!! Surely tha's not saying us Yorkshire folk are tight?????

Nay, lass. We just don't have the inate generosity of the Scots, that's
all ;~)).

rofl

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-09-2014, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to deter
the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has changed,
should I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy web
and in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost

impossible
to see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer to
use the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).

Spider!!!! Surely tha's not saying us Yorkshire folk are tight?????

Dont 'spect you peeled the chestnut in yer waistcoat pocket then?

Tha's got a waistcoat pocket? Luxury! We had to peel it in a paper bag.

Aye lass, tha's not wrong g

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 29-09-2014, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/09/2014 12:22, Spider wrote:
Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to deter
the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has changed,
should I be using sweet chestnuts instead?

I'm shocked - you, of all people!

Is this some sort of speciesism

--
regards andy
Old 30-09-2014, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/09/2014 10:14, News wrote:
On 26/09/2014 12:22, Spider wrote:
Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to deter
the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has changed,
should I be using sweet chestnuts instead?

I'm shocked - you, of all people!

Is this some sort of speciesism

No, it's territorialism:~). My home is being taken over by the
afore-mentioned Pholcus. One or two I can be happy with; an invading
army, I can't. I've shared my house with tarantulas, so it's definitely
not fear. It's slowly turning into Pholcus-related OCD! ;~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London