Old 28-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Registered User

Thumbs up Which Petrol Lawnmower?????

HI.....

I have a good size lawn and need a petrol cylinder mower to stripe it.
We live near a river and outside the back garden, residents in our row cut a path up the slope of the river bank to gain access to the river walk.
The slope is steep and about 8 metres long x 1.5 metres wide.
I inherited an Atco b17 with the house and have had to replace the engine on it 3x. due to my ignorance of how mowers lub. themselves.
I now know some use a "splash" system.......and realise that as I was on the steep slope of the bank, was starving the engine of vital lubrication causing it to seize and ruin.
My question............what kinds of cylinder petrol mowers use this splash system as I need to keep away from them....and what kind of cylinder mowers use an "oil pressure" system?????

Many thanks in advance !
Old 28-09-2014, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which Petrol Lawnmower?????

On 28/09/14 09:20, kanewesley wrote:
[...]

Personally I dumped petrol in favour of the Bosch Rotak 36V battery mower.

I have slopes and awkward bits that upset my Hayter (smoked a fair bit
after mowing a bank "the wrong way".

With 2 batteries, you can pretty much mow continuously on grass that is
already reasonable. It will handle damp long grass but the battery will
be flat about 15 mins before the other is recharged - but this is a
problem about once or twice a year (first cut and returning from a
holiday when it's been raining).

Grass collection is a lot better than my Hayter Spirit 41 too - picks up
more and packs it in tighter.
Old 28-09-2014, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kanewesley" wrote
I have a good size lawn and need a petrol cylinder mower to stripe it.
We live near a river and outside the back garden, residents in our row
cut a path up the slope of the river bank to gain access to the river
walk.
The slope is steep and about 8 metres long x 1.5 metres wide.
I inherited an Atco b17 with the house and have had to replace the
engine on it 3x. due to my ignorance of how mowers lub. themselves.
I now know some use a "splash" system.......and realise that as I was on
the steep slope of the bank, was starving the engine of vital
lubrication causing it to seize and ruin.
My question............what kinds of cylinder petrol mowers use this
splash system as I need to keep away from them....and what kind of
cylinder mowers use an "oil pressure" system?????

Many thanks in advance !

You asked exactly the same question on here on the 25th April 2014.
Solutions include battery and electric power, buying an old two stroke
mower** on Ebay, or a very expensive professional petrol two stroke mower
made for such jobs. See http://www.southernmachinery.ie/as-motor.htm

** I actually took one down the dump some years ago. Silly me.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 29-09-2014, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Must it be a cylinder mower? In my experience rotary mowers with vertical
shaft engines are less vulnerable to this type of lubrication problem. A
decent roller driven rotary will give a good stripe to the lawn.

Mike

Old 29-09-2014, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"kanewesley" wrote
[...]

Just had this reply from Honda UK.......

"Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

The engines, fitted in all of our mowers come with splash lubrication oil
system.

The GCV 140 and 160 engines can be used on slopes up to 45 degrees.

For more information on those two models, please contact your nearest Honda
Energy dealer, that

you can find using our search tool:
http://www.honda.co.uk/energy/findadealer/ "

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:04 AM
Registered User

Unhappy

Yes Bob....I DID post this question before but the only answer I got which may have helped is :

"Get the same mower as your neighbour"!!!

He moved !

Being a novice in the Lawnmower engine world, I was hoping for the experience and / or expert professional knowledge of a retired gardener, or groundsman or such, to guide me in the right direction.

ie "You need to get something along the lines of a Suffolk Model xxxxx, or a Briggs & Stratton, or a Qualcast ...Model xxxxx, because these use an oil pump instead of primitive splash system.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kanewesley" wrote

Yes Bob....I DID post this question before but the only answer I got
which may have helped is :

"Get the same mower as your neighbour"!!!

He moved !

Being a novice in the Lawnmower engine world, I was hoping for the
experience and / or expert professional knowledge of a retired gardener,
or groundsman or such, to guide me in the right direction.

ie "You need to get something along the lines of a Suffolk Model xxxxx,
or a Briggs & Stratton, or a Qualcast ...Model xxxxx, because these use
an oil pump instead of primitive splash system.

A professional would direct you to the sort of very expensive professional 2
stroke mowers I gave you a link to before, perfect for your job except for
the price. However what you need to do is ask the mower engine suppliers or
mower makers, as I did for you with Honda, the sort of lubrication system
they use (splash is no good for you, pump or pressure is) then you will end
up with a list of engines/mowers to choose from.
I actually can't believe all Honda's engines are splash lubrication.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"kanewesley" wrote

[...]

No Bob.......as primitive as the splash system is....neither can I !!

But thanks though....I think I may have to ring a few manufacturers direct myself....or try and trace my old neighbour !

Cheers !
Old 05-10-2014, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kanewesley" wrote-

-
[...]

Why not ask a few local dealers, they may even have a second hand
machine for sale that will do the job.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote
Why not ask a few local dealers, they may even have a second hand machine
for sale that will do the job.

Yes, very possible, a friend went into a garden machinery place where he has
bought stuff before and asked if they had anything interesting second hand.
They had just got back a big cultivator that had only been used once before
the owner they had sold it to died, friend got it half price. Never happens
to me.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kanewesley" wrote

Bob Hobden;Wrote:
"kanewesley" wrote-

[...]

Just had this reply from Briggs and Stratton UK, looks like their engines
are all splash lubricated too .

"Typically , none of our walk behind lawnmower engines are pressure
lubricated , although some feature oil pumps and filters but these are
pressure filtration only. Lubrication for all of them is taken care of by a
gear driven splasher system.

When operating a lawnmower engine on a steep bank etc the first concern is
the safety of the operator. After that the main concern is the carburettor.
All of our engines will operate satisfactorily at an angle of 15 degrees
continuously in any direction and up to 30 degrees intermittently for a
period of no longer than a minute.

In most steep operating conditions it will be the engines fuel system which
will fail long before the lubrication system provided the engines oil level
is correctly maintained at the full mark on the dipstick. This is because
the gear driven oil splasher device will actually continue to work at any
angle long after the carburettor has given up functioning correctly."

That leaves Tecumseh to ask and I'll leave that question for you. They do
make 2 stroke engines too.
http://www.tecumsehpower.com/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak ted4272 United Kingdom 6 18-07-2012 12:36 PM
Which petrol lawnmower BIGEYE[_2_] United Kingdom 6 18-09-2008 12:20 PM
Petrol Lawnmower philip United Kingdom 4 13-08-2006 12:23 AM
Old petrol lawnmower Andrew Champion United Kingdom 6 04-07-2003 05:58 PM
Cheapest petrol Lawnmower with rear roller? Gary United Kingdom 6 22-03-2003 11:28 AM