Old 02-10-2014, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Public gardens

If you visit places with gardens as we do occasionally, and did this week,
and you see some strange even plain wrong planting do you chat to the
gardeners about it?
By wrong I mean ferns in full sun and potentially huge trees, Robinia
pseudoacacia, planted almost next to the building.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 02-10-2014, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob

Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who matter don't mind
and those who mind don't matter.

Mike

advert to follow

Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/2014 09:24, Bob Hobden wrote:
If you visit places with gardens as we do occasionally, and did this week,
and you see some strange even plain wrong planting do you chat to the
gardeners about it?
By wrong I mean ferns in full sun and potentially huge trees, Robinia
pseudoacacia, planted almost next to the building.

Can't say that I have, but I might if I noticed some invasive plants
(such as variegated ground elder or a "decorative" plantain) had been
planted close to a neighbour's fence.

--

Jeff
Old 02-10-2014, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote
Bob says...

If you visit places with gardens as we do occasionally, and did this week,
and you see some strange even plain wrong planting do you chat to the
gardeners about it?
By wrong I mean ferns in full sun and potentially huge trees, Robinia
pseudoacacia, planted almost next to the building.

Well, I've seen newish "instant" gardens unwisely planted up by some
beginner with more money than sense or knowledge but I wouldn't
discourage them by saying so. Gardeners learn best, from their mistakes.

When I started out I made some howling planting booboos which I was very
proud of at the time. Two that stand out in my personal hall of shame
were cedrus atlantica glauca planted in a tiny front garden at one ft
tall, and mile-a-minute-vine planted on a dividing fence.

( What I learnt was, that the smaller you plant a tree the faster it
grows; and plants that overtake the neighbours while breaking the speed
limit, will surely get banned).

Janet

Yes I agree but presumably this garden is not gardened by a new gardener as
it's a house open to the public. Looked like a senior gardener and lots of
willing helpers .

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the West of London. UK

Old 02-10-2014, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-10-02 08:24:55 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

If you visit places with gardens as we do occasionally, and did this
week, and you see some strange even plain wrong planting do you chat to
the gardeners about it?
By wrong I mean ferns in full sun and potentially huge trees, Robinia
pseudoacacia, planted almost next to the building.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Tis might interest you, Bob. The editor of this site believes firmly
that gardens open to the public are as open to criticism as a work of
art would be.
http://thinkingardens.co.uk/articles...peak-its-name/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-10-2014, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Like I said earlier ............

Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
If you visit places with gardens as we do occasionally, and did this week,
and you see some strange even plain wrong planting do you chat to the
gardeners about it?
By wrong I mean ferns in full sun and potentially huge trees, Robinia
pseudoacacia, planted almost next to the building.

That's a difficult one. If the gardeners were around and looked friendly, I
might say "is there a reason why you did that..?" and see what they say.
Then go from there.
It's kind of like accusing someone of being a bad parent, very delicate to
approach.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/2014 17:10, Christina Websell wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
If you visit places with gardens as we do occasionally, and did this week,
and you see some strange even plain wrong planting do you chat to the
gardeners about it?
By wrong I mean ferns in full sun and potentially huge trees, Robinia
pseudoacacia, planted almost next to the building.

That's a difficult one. If the gardeners were around and looked friendly, I
might say "is there a reason why you did that..?" and see what they say.
Then go from there.
It's kind of like accusing someone of being a bad parent, very delicate to
approach.

Just remember that plants don't read the books that we do.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

If you visit places with gardens as we do occasionally, and did this
week, and you see some strange even plain wrong planting do you chat to
the gardeners about it?
By wrong I mean ferns in full sun and potentially huge trees, Robinia
pseudoacacia, planted almost next to the building.

Tis might interest you, Bob. The editor of this site believes firmly that
gardens open to the public are as open to criticism as a work of art would
be.
http://thinkingardens.co.uk/articles...peak-its-name/

Interesting, however I was not questioning the asthetics of the garden as
that is a personal thing, for example, I don't "get" Sissinghurst yet others
rave about it.
What I was thinking about was plants in the wrong places, places they will
not thrive in, and worse, places they simply should not be.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"david" wrote .

Christina Websell wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote
If you visit places with gardens as we do occasionally, and did this
week,
and you see some strange even plain wrong planting do you chat to the
gardeners about it?
By wrong I mean ferns in full sun and potentially huge trees, Robinia
pseudoacacia, planted almost next to the building.

That's a difficult one. If the gardeners were around and looked
friendly, I
might say "is there a reason why you did that..?" and see what they say.
Then go from there.
It's kind of like accusing someone of being a bad parent, very delicate
approach.

Just remember that plants don't read the books that we do.

Very true David but I cannot think of a fern that actually likes to be in
full sun or will live in those conditions, then there are the trees, large
trees that grow to 100ft and more planted a few metres from a house that
has had millions spent on it's restoration has to be madness in my book.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob a tree which you know grow to 100ft is an easy one. You find one of the
gardeners, take him to the tree 'because you have a question to ask' and
when there, get your pen and pad out and ask him "Is that tree a dwarf
variety because if so what is it? The normal ones grow to 100 ft and of
course would not be planted to so near a house, well I have room for a small
dwarf one but never a normal one" A fern? "What variety is that which will
grow in the sun?"

Mike

advert will follow

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"david" wrote .

"Bob Hobden" wrote

Old 03-10-2014, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-10-02 22:15:17 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

If you visit places with gardens as we do occasionally, and did this
week, and you see some strange even plain wrong planting do you chat to
the gardeners about it?
By wrong I mean ferns in full sun and potentially huge trees, Robinia
pseudoacacia, planted almost next to the building.

Tis might interest you, Bob. The editor of this site believes firmly
that gardens open to the public are as open to criticism as a work of
art would be.
http://thinkingardens.co.uk/articles...peak-its-name/

Interesting, however I was not questioning the asthetics of the garden
as that is a personal thing, for example, I don't "get" Sissinghurst
yet others rave about it.
What I was thinking about was plants in the wrong places, places they
will not thrive in, and worse, places they simply should not be.

We've seen that in more than one famous garden and clearly you have,
too! I think the only answer then is to comment on the 'interesting
position you have that plant in. I thought they liked deep shade?", if
you happen to bump into one of the garden team!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-10-2014, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-10-02 22:26:18 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"david" wrote .

Christina Websell wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

Some of these places are on sites that allow for (polite) comment, e.g.
those run by local counties or villages, group trip organisers etc. It
might be worth saying something on those.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-10-2014, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/10/2014 09:24, Bob Hobden wrote:
If you visit places with gardens as we do occasionally, and did this
week, and you see some strange even plain wrong planting do you chat to
the gardeners about it?
By wrong I mean ferns in full sun and potentially huge trees, Robinia
pseudoacacia, planted almost next to the building.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

On those occasions I've felt the need to speak out, there hasn't been a
gardener to speak to, which is frustrating.

One of the things I often see when garden visiting, is cruelly biting
tree ties. With no-one to address, and no blade of my own, I am obliged
to walk away.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London