Old 03-10-2014, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default paraffin heater for small plastic polytunnel

We are beginners and have just acquired a plastic polytunnel like the
one on this website.

http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-23306.h...TMt AodHCsAWQ

Could anyone please recommend an inexpensive paraffin heater for the
winter. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John, not that I have a lot of knowledge as you will very soon be told by
the experts who post here, but my advice, coming over my shoulder from
someone with over 50 years of gardening experience, is ................
don't bother with A) paraffin and B) 'over winter' as a beginner.

Depending on where you are, I am on the South East Coast of the Isle of
Wight, so our Winters are not tooooooooooooo bad, in our last house which
had a very large garden and two long polytunnels, we used to plat our early
potatoes on Boxing Day and had an early crop. No heat.

Mike
adverts will follow

Old 03-10-2014, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/10/2014 16:15, john t west wrote:
We are beginners and have just acquired a plastic polytunnel like the
one on this website.

http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-23306.h...TMt AodHCsAWQ

Could anyone please recommend an inexpensive paraffin heater for the
winter. Thanks.

Have you any idea the price of Paraffin?

I'd either run an electric cable to the structure and use a fan heater
or get a gas heater and run it in red bottled gas.
Both cheaper alternatives to Paraffin, and a lot less trouble.
David @ a still dry side of Swansea Bay
Old 03-10-2014, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/10/2014 20:24, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 18:50:34 +0100, David
wrote:

On 03/10/2014 16:15, john t west wrote:
We are beginners and have just acquired a plastic polytunnel like the
one on this website.

http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-23306.h...TMt AodHCsAWQ

Could anyone please recommend an inexpensive paraffin heater for the
winter. Thanks.

Have you any idea the price of Paraffin?

I'd either run an electric cable to the structure and use a fan heater
or get a gas heater and run it in red bottled gas.
Both cheaper alternatives to Paraffin, and a lot less trouble.
David @ a still dry side of Swansea Bay

Interesting discussion on the merits, costs etc of paraffin, on
uk.d-i-y a year ago:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/d3Dnu3zi7EE

You have to be very careful about using any other form of "Paraffin" as
the sulphur content can be higher and the fumes can act as a total plant
killer.