Old 11-10-2014, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default T shaped Shrub cuttings

I saw a Beechgrove episode recently in which Jim demonstrated taking
shrub cuttings for rooting in a frame (he was usinng Variegated
Weigela). He did one where, instead of leaving a 'heel', used a
sideshoot but left a small section of the adjoining stem intact &
snipped off top and bottom - so it formed an upsidedown truncated T shape.

I can't recall seeing or reading of doing cuttings like this before, so
wondered if anyone uses this technique & what advantages, if any,
there'd be over the usual heel cutting, perhaps for certain plants or
conditions.

--
Sue
Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue I have used this in the past with Quickthorn and Lavender, both
successfully.

Mike

Watch this sace.
"Indigo" wrote in message
o.uk...

I saw a Beechgrove episode recently in which Jim demonstrated taking
shrub cuttings for rooting in a frame (he was usinng Variegated
Weigela). He did one where, instead of leaving a 'heel', used a
sideshoot but left a small section of the adjoining stem intact &
snipped off top and bottom - so it formed an upsidedown truncated T shape.

I can't recall seeing or reading of doing cuttings like this before, so
wondered if anyone uses this technique & what advantages, if any,
there'd be over the usual heel cutting, perhaps for certain plants or
conditions.

--
Sue

Foot shaped stepping stones James5577 United Kingdom 3 19-08-2004 09:13 PM
Neat shaped pond Sam Hopkins Ponds 4 30-08-2003 10:22 PM
Pruning a spherically shaped aussie native shrub? Gen Australia 1 22-08-2003 01:02 PM
L-Shaped Pond itten Ponds 0 27-04-2003 11:08 AM
what's the name of the shrub that has marble sized.shaped white fruit? dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 9 22-11-2002 06:11 PM