Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Enorma Runner Beans .... latest

Well as I promised, the latest result. I have just cut them down and there
were 14 plants on a tent frame arrangement 5 feet long. They produced just
over 30 lbs all together but the very latest, those we took of yesterday not
as 'fleshy' as those earlier and were not counted in.

We rate this a success. Comments welcome.

Mike

Advert to follow.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Well as I promised, the latest result. I have just cut them down and there
were 14 plants on a tent frame arrangement 5 feet long. They produced just
over 30 lbs all together but the very latest, those we took of yesterday
not as 'fleshy' as those earlier and were not counted in.

We rate this a success. Comments welcome.

I always grow Enorma. I have plenty in the freezer - we'll probably have
some on christmas day.
My German friend finds it difficult to grow runner beans. They have long
hot summers and I think she ignored my advice about digging a trench for
them, and watering. so just saved them for seed.
I'm going to send her some Enorma and see how she goes with them next year.
French beans do well there, but runner beans not so much.

Old 13-10-2014, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Well as I promised, the latest result. I have just cut them down and there
were 14 plants on a tent frame arrangement 5 feet long. They produced just
over 30 lbs all together but the very latest, those we took of yesterday not
as 'fleshy' as those earlier and were not counted in.

We rate this a success. Comments welcome.

Mike

I've had my heaviest crop ever this year, over 42 lbs. This is
from 18 canes (A-shaped) with probably about 2 plants per cane.
Can't comment on variety much, as I used saved seed from
previous years. Some were red flowered, and some salmon pink, I
think the later were relatively poor croppers, but they did go
in later. A few were brought on in pots, then planted out late
May. The rest were planted about 2 weeks apart from later May
directly into the ground. As they grew very tall, I was unable
to reach the top ones, which are now producing next years seed
(of which I think I'll have an abundance!).

I dug out a trench in March, which I then filled with gren
material that would normally have gone onto the compost heap.
Closed the trench at end of April ready for late May planting.

Pound per plant is obviously less than Mike's crop assuming
that the 2 seeds per cane I planted had a good germination.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales