Old 11-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Registered User

Default Is my euonymus dying?

I only planted this in April and it hasn't grown much at all. Now some of the leaves are turning brown which is a bit worrying for an evergreen shrub. Is a trip to the garden centre in order?
Attached Thumbnails
Is my euonymus dying?-euonymus.jpg
Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/2014 23:31, David56802 wrote:
I only planted this in April and it hasn't grown much at all. Now some
of the leaves are turning brown which is a bit worrying for an evergreen
shrub. Is a trip to the garden centre in order?

|Filename: euonymus.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16178|

That's quite normal.
When the temp drops or the plant is under stress then you will get that
coloration of the leaves.
Makes it much more interesting in my opinion.
David @ a rain free (at last) side of Swansea Bay
Old 12-10-2014, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David56802.eaf9169
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

I only planted this in April and it hasn't grown much at all. Now some
of the leaves are turning brown which is a bit worrying for an evergreen
shrub. Is a trip to the garden centre in order?

We need the name. Are you sure yours is an evergreen variety ? Some
euonymus are deciduous.

Janet
Old 12-10-2014, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/2014 10:21, David wrote:
On 11/10/2014 23:31, David56802 wrote:
I only planted this in April and it hasn't grown much at all. Now some
of the leaves are turning brown which is a bit worrying for an evergreen
shrub. Is a trip to the garden centre in order?

|Filename: euonymus.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16178|

That's quite normal.
When the temp drops or the plant is under stress then you will get that
coloration of the leaves.
Makes it much more interesting in my opinion.
David @ a rain free (at last) side of Swansea Bay

Yup. I agree with David (Hill). It's perfectly normal and even quite
attractive. Certainly don't try and cut it out. Learn to love it.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 12-10-2014, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/12/2014 11:53 AM, Janet wrote:
In article , David56802.eaf9169
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

I only planted this in April and it hasn't grown much at all. Now some
of the leaves are turning brown which is a bit worrying for an evergreen
shrub. Is a trip to the garden centre in order?

We need the name. Are you sure yours is an evergreen variety ? Some
euonymus are deciduous.

Yes.
I have two types in my garden - one is deciduous, the other changes
colour when the seasons change.

Old 14-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Registered User

Smile

Can't remember the variety - I think it's Emerald Gaiety. I bought specifically because I wanted an evergreen for winter colour in my front garden.

Good to know it's not dead then.