Old 14-10-2014, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Well I've pruned my rose bush...

Following the advice of the good folk here, I've given my wayward rose bush
a bit of a trim.

Was told to remove any "dead" sections and try and trim it into a "goblet"
shape (the latter being a little tricky), not sure if I went a little too
far...

http://tinyurl.com/pg587k9

I know this isn't rocket science, but as I have a complete brown thumb,
wanted to know if this looks OK, or should I have gone too far, or not far
enough etc...

Thanks in advance.

Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Old 14-10-2014, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Simon T" wrote

Following the advice of the good folk here, I've given my wayward rose bush
a bit of a trim.

Was told to remove any "dead" sections and try and trim it into a "goblet"
shape (the latter being a little tricky), not sure if I went a little too
far...

http://tinyurl.com/pg587k9

I know this isn't rocket science, but as I have a complete brown thumb,
wanted to know if this looks OK, or should I have gone too far, or not far
enough etc...

Thanks in advance.

Looks OK, if you wanted it to be a low shrub then you could have gone
further.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-10-2014, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/2014 16:39, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Simon T" wrote

Following the advice of the good folk here, I've given my wayward rose
bush a bit of a trim.

Was told to remove any "dead" sections and try and trim it into a
"goblet" shape (the latter being a little tricky), not sure if I went
a little too far...

http://tinyurl.com/pg587k9

I know this isn't rocket science, but as I have a complete brown
thumb, wanted to know if this looks OK, or should I have gone too far,
or not far enough etc...

Thanks in advance.

Looks OK, if you wanted it to be a low shrub then you could have gone
further.

Good picture.
At the front you have 2 good young shoots growing from low down.
You could cut off the old stems they are growing from, just above the
new growth then shorten the new stems back to about 4 or 5 buds.
if you have another good shoot like these near the back you could do the
same there.
Next autumn you could do the same to another 3 stems. that way you would
be replacing the oldest growth with good new growth from the base of the
bush.
Feel it well in the spring.
David @ a muddy side of Swansea Bay
Old 15-10-2014, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
Looks OK; not fantastic, but quite good enough. But I'm a little
concerned by whatever it is that's covering the roots of the rose. A
little further along the bed, I see what looks like a bit of black
polythene sheet poking out of the gravel. Is this just black
polythene, or proper weed-suppressing fabric?

It's weed fabric. Been making some changes to my border lately, hence why
its only covering part of it at the mo!

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Old 15-10-2014, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/2014 14:54, Simon T wrote:
Following the advice of the good folk here, I've given my wayward rose
bush a bit of a trim.

Was told to remove any "dead" sections and try and trim it into a
"goblet" shape (the latter being a little tricky), not sure if I went a
little too far...

http://tinyurl.com/pg587k9

I know this isn't rocket science, but as I have a complete brown thumb,
wanted to know if this looks OK, or should I have gone too far, or not
far enough etc...

Thanks in advance.

Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

I think you've done well for the time being. You could have taken out
more wood, but you can always do that in spring when you see the new
growth developing. To be totally honest, I would have completely
removed the oldest branch on the right but, again, you can make a
decision about that in spring.

The rose obviously hasn't been pruned in years, so a severe cut-back now
might have been too much of a shock to its system. In future years, and
with a bit more experience, you'll probably be confident enough to cut
back further, but it's fine for now.

It would be a good idea to remove those few dead leaves and other debris
from under the rose. These will almost certainly be carrying Black Spot
spores (and perhaps rose rust as well), which can reinfect the shrub.
Perhaps now, but certainly in spring, use a rose fungicide spray in
February/March to completely wash down the rose. This should prevent
those same spores (which will be 'resting' over winter on the stems)
from reinfecting the new growth.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-10-2014, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/10/2014 15:08, Spider wrote:

[...]

We've got to do some sever pruning too. But I thought we were supposed
to wait until January?

Andy
Old 15-10-2014, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/10/2014 21:55, Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

There are two main times when roses are pruned - apart from high season
deadheading and routine shaping, of course. One is about now, reducing
height especially to reduce wind rock over the winter months, but also
some shaping and removal of diseased and dead wood. For standard roses,
checking the stake is still fit for purpose is a good idea.

The second time is in spring, when the rose can be cut back to prominent
outward-facing buds, which will grow away and become that summers'
flowering wood.

Not all roses need pruning as heavily as others, or even in the same
way. A good basic guide can be found in The Rose Expert by Dr. Hessayon
or, if you're pruning more woody plants than just roses, you may wish to
invest in the RHS Pruning and Training guide, published by Dorling
Kindersley.

To prune in January, would be to risk your cuts being exposed to frost,
which may result in die back.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-10-2014, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

[...]

I would wait until December, or when the leaves have fallen and
they've had some frost. Once the leaves have fallen it's easier to see
what to leave and what to take out.

It's so mild just now that pruning could stimulate new growth before
winter, which will be too soft and tender to survive.

Janet

Old 17-10-2014, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Simon T" wrote in message
Following the advice of the good folk here, I've given my wayward rose
bush a bit of a trim.

Was told to remove any "dead" sections and try and trim it into a "goblet"
shape (the latter being a little tricky), not sure if I went a little too
far...

http://tinyurl.com/pg587k9

I know this isn't rocket science, but as I have a complete brown thumb,
wanted to know if this looks OK, or should I have gone too far, or not far
enough etc...

Thanks in advance.

Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

It's fine.
A while ago I was asked to take my goats to a place that needed severe
grazing and I said "you might lose your roses" Not so. They ate them nearly
to the ground and they grew fantastically the next year.

Old 17-10-2014, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
lid says...

[...]

I agree. If you have to prune in autumn I'd have waited until the rose at
least became dormant. I don't prune until around late Feb when the buds
begin to swell on the stems. The RHS also recommend pruning roses in late
winter