Old 17-10-2014, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing quinces in Cheshire

I have experience of growing quinces (Meech's Prolific and Portugal) in Herefordshire,where they grow and crop well.I now wish to grow them either on my allotment or in the garden-my allotment has sandy soil and the garden clay.
I read somewhere that quinces are really for the South and Midlands,but given that our climate is warming,would quinces crop well in Cheshire (10 miles south of Manchester)and if so which is the best variety?
Michael
Old 17-10-2014, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 06:49:10 -0700 (PDT), michael
wrote:

I have experience of growing quinces (Meech's Prolific and Portugal) in Herefordshire,where they grow and crop well.I now wish to grow them either on my allotment or in the garden-my allotment has sandy soil and the garden clay.
I read somewhere that quinces are really for the South and Midlands,but given that our climate is warming,would quinces crop well in Cheshire (10 miles south of Manchester)and if so which is the best variety?
Michael

The national collection is in Cheshire. Look up Norton Priory in
Runcorn.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Quinces SG1[_3_] Australia 1 09-04-2009 10:52 PM
Cheshire garden ponds Andy Harmer United Kingdom 0 29-11-2004 04:44 PM
Arley Hall gardens Cheshire Sue United Kingdom 0 26-08-2004 01:02 PM
Quinces and Medlars David Hare-Scott Edible Gardening 2 20-08-2003 08:02 PM