Old 19-10-2014, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sweet peas again

A combination of my own experience and Monty's is prompting me to sow
sweet peas in a couple of weeks time, and over winter under glass (or in
my case in transparent plastic sandwich bags hung on hooks high up on a
south facing wall). Did this 2 years ago and had an excellent show.
However, the polystyrene cups used (I think this helps keep the roots
warm), were way too small (7oz) and the roots were hanging out of the
bottom by February. This time round I'm investing in some 20 oz cups. I
normally cut the bottoms off before planting out but I figure these new
cups with a 6" height might be deep enough for the whole summer root system.
Does anyone know how deep their roots go in ideal conditions. As I
recall, mine didn't go beyond that.
Any help appreciated
Old 19-10-2014, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2014 14:15, stuart noble wrote:
A combination of my own experience and Monty's is prompting me to sow
sweet peas in a couple of weeks time, and over winter under glass (or in
my case in transparent plastic sandwich bags hung on hooks high up on a
south facing wall). Did this 2 years ago and had an excellent show.
However, the polystyrene cups used (I think this helps keep the roots
warm), were way too small (7oz) and the roots were hanging out of the
bottom by February. This time round I'm investing in some 20 oz cups. I
normally cut the bottoms off before planting out but I figure these new
cups with a 6" height might be deep enough for the whole summer root
system.
Does anyone know how deep their roots go in ideal conditions. As I
recall, mine didn't go beyond that.
Any help appreciated

The roots hate disturbance.
Old 20-10-2014, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2014 14:15, stuart noble wrote:
A combination of my own experience and Monty's is prompting me to sow
sweet peas in a couple of weeks time, and over winter under glass (or in
my case in transparent plastic sandwich bags hung on hooks high up on a
south facing wall). Did this 2 years ago and had an excellent show.
However, the polystyrene cups used (I think this helps keep the roots
warm), were way too small (7oz) and the roots were hanging out of the
bottom by February. This time round I'm investing in some 20 oz cups. I
normally cut the bottoms off before planting out but I figure these new
cups with a 6" height might be deep enough for the whole summer root
system.
Does anyone know how deep their roots go in ideal conditions. As I
recall, mine didn't go beyond that.
Any help appreciated

I will be sowing in a couple of weeks as well and I will be sowing into
7cm square pots.
It's not just the depth the roots will go it's also their spread looking
for water when they are planted out.
If you are worried about their roots coming out of the bottom of their
pots then stand those pots inside larger(empty) pots just to stop the
roots going into what ever you have below the pots.
The roots will go down as deep as they can easily grow, depending what's
under them.
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay
Old 21-10-2014, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/10/2014 19:42, David wrote:
[...]

My observation on digging them up at the end of the season is that
they're not naturally deep rooted, but I hear that they do like to go
straight down (hence the use of "extra large" sweet pea root trainers).
This time round I don't envisage any transplanting, or root disturbance
.. Those I have bought in the past as plug plants never seem to thrive