Old 21-10-2014, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cordyline Australis limp at pase due to winds

Hi all,

My 4ft-tall Cordyline Australis has toppled over and the base of its trunk
is limp, where it got pushed over in last night's strong winds. Is it now a
'goner' - or can it survive, if I stake it and tie the trunk in an upright
position?

Many thanks

Al
Old 21-10-2014, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote

"AL_n"wrote:

My 4ft-tall Cordyline Australis has toppled over and the base of its trunk
is limp, where it got pushed over in last night's strong winds. Is it now
'goner' - or can it survive, if I stake it and tie the trunk in an
upright
position?

I'd be surprised if the whole thing was a 'goner', although the
existing trunk may be. Cordylines are remarkably resilient IME, and
yours will almost certainly regenerate from below ground even if the
existing trunk dies. Stake it, by all means, but expect new growth to
come from the base over the next 6 - 12 months.

You have to poison them to kill them IME although it might be easier in a
pot. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-10-2014, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

You have to poison them to kill them IME although it might be easier
in a pot. :-)

Thanks, all, for the feedback. I'm amiss to be honest. There are 15-ft tall
ones in my area that have survived the winds, but my little 4ft-tall one
gets trashed. It's the second time this has happened to this particular
one. It happened a couple of years ago and I had to wait for new growth to
start from scratch - so I'm extra disheartened!

Al
Old 22-10-2014, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

You have to poison them to kill them IME although it might be easier
in a pot. :-)

Thanks, all, for the feedback. I'm amiss to be honest. There are 15-ft
tall
ones in my area that have survived the winds, but my little 4ft-tall one
gets trashed. It's the second time this has happened to this particular
one. It happened a couple of years ago and I had to wait for new growth to
start from scratch - so I'm extra disheartened!

Al

They do vary a lot in growth habit and robustness some of the coloured
leafed ones have thin stems, but any thing that has been in the ground more
than a year or two takes a lot of killing!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 22-10-2014, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
et...

Even if you have to cut off the top to ground level, cordylines
readily shoot again from the roots, usually in a multi trunk... and IME
the new trunks grow far faster than their beheaded parent ever did.

Janet.

Well - I suppose that would be the same with my two Wisteria standards.
Just about the only trees round here still in full leaf. They took a real
hammering
but remain upright to tell the tale. About twenty five years of growth would
take a lot of patience
during replacement though !!

Old 22-10-2014, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/10/2014 15:44, AL_n wrote:
Hi all,

My 4ft-tall Cordyline Australis has toppled over and the base of its trunk
is limp, where it got pushed over in last night's strong winds. Is it now a
'goner' - or can it survive, if I stake it and tie the trunk in an upright
position?

Many thanks

Al

It rather depends what you mean by "limp". If "limp" is merely loose in
the soil, then firming the roots back into the soil and staking it would
help and it will almost certainly survive. However, if "limp" means
anything like soggy or bendy, then I would be inclined to suspect some
sort of rot or disease. No plant is going to grow on a rotten base, so
I suspect it may be a "goner" :~(. Sorry.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London