Old 23-10-2014, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cymbidium query

I have told before the saga of my cymbidium which hasn't flowered
since I bought it at least 15 years ago though 4 plants I made by
splitting it and gave away, have all flowered the last 2 years.
The only reason I can think of is that I gave mine plenty of space in
a new pot, the others were crammed into smaller pots! All in orchid
compost.
Mine has been outside all summer.
Question; should I bring it in before we have a frost or leave it
untill we have had a few cold nights. It's looking very healthy and is
almost bursting its pot!
Pam near Bristol
Old 23-10-2014, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote

I have told before the saga of my cymbidium which hasn't flowered
since I bought it at least 15 years ago though 4 plants I made by
splitting it and gave away, have all flowered the last 2 years.
The only reason I can think of is that I gave mine plenty of space in
a new pot, the others were crammed into smaller pots! All in orchid
compost.
Mine has been outside all summer.
Question; should I bring it in before we have a frost or leave it
untill we have had a few cold nights. It's looking very healthy and is
almost bursting its pot!

It needs cool nights to help initiate flowering but not frost at all, that
will kill it. All mine are still outside and now is the time to give them
some flower food or half strength tomato feed for a couple of waterings.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-10-2014, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/10/2014 16:46, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote

I have told before the saga of my cymbidium which hasn't flowered
since I bought it at least 15 years ago though 4 plants I made by
splitting it and gave away, have all flowered the last 2 years.
The only reason I can think of is that I gave mine plenty of space in
a new pot, the others were crammed into smaller pots! All in orchid
compost.
Mine has been outside all summer.
Question; should I bring it in before we have a frost or leave it
untill we have had a few cold nights. It's looking very healthy and is
almost bursting its pot!

It needs cool nights to help initiate flowering but not frost at all,
that will kill it. All mine are still outside and now is the time to
give them some flower food or half strength tomato feed for a couple of
waterings.

I followed Bob's advice last year and my three Cymbidiums flowered for
the first time in approx. 3yrs. Gosh, Pam, you've got some patience!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 24-10-2014, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:17:19 +0100, Spider wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bob and Spider.
Will follow good advice! I don't like being beaten and while the plant
thrives I'll battle on and hope for flowers!
Old 24-10-2014, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

Spider wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote

[...]

Some Cymbids are notorious for not flowering well but usually if you get
them to flower once they continue from there IME, probably because you have
worked out how to make it happen. I think the problem is our short growing
season where the new pseudobulbs don't get to full size in a season and
certainly don't mature enough to throw up a spike so you get flowering every
few years instead of annually.
As well as a couple of the normal small/medium sized ones I have three full
sized Cymbids (flower spikes get to about 5ft or more with large flowers)
and they are a right pain to get a decent flowering, two did last year, but
like you I refuse to be beaten.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-10-2014, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:39:22 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

Spider wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote

[...]

Wow Bob. Yours sound impressive!
Spider, I liked your story of your determination too!
I would add that I have one of my 5 phals in flower and 3 more with
flower stems coming so I have them sussed!
Old 25-10-2014, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/2014 12:14, Pam Moore wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:39:22 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

Spider wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote

(SNIPPED)
[...]

Thank you. To look at it now you'd never believe it was at death's door.

I would add that I have one of my 5 phals in flower and 3 more with
flower stems coming so I have them sussed!

Oooh! Good. That means you've got at least 8 phals. Makes me feel
slightly less obsessive. I think Phals are great value. For the same
price, you'd never get cut flowers to bloom so long .. *and* reflower
again. It's just a shame most phals have no scent.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 25-10-2014, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote

Pam Moore wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

Spider wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote

(SNIPPED)
[...]

If you want scent from your orchids get one of the large flowered Cattleyas
( everyones idea of an orchid flower), a Coelogyne, or better still a
Zygopetalum.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-10-2014, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/2014 22:53, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

Pam Moore wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

Spider wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote

(SNIPPED)
[...]

I've got a small Cattleya which may reflower soon. I've never had a
Coelogyne, nor seen one for sale. I managed to kill my Zygopetalum and
haven't seen one for sale since. One of my Cymbidiums (a yellow one, I
think) has a lovely scent, so I hope it's going to flower soon. I love
Burrageana(sp?)'Nelly Isler'; it has a scent of lemon and ginger.
Again, waiting for that to flower.

Because I am somewhat obsessive and have two window shelves groaning
with orchids:~), I've been told "no more orchids" for the time being:~((.

Although they don't usually have scent, I *love* the Cambria types,
especially the dark reds with yellow margins. Gorgeous, and they
reflower well for me.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-10-2014, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 22:30:10 +0100, Spider wrote:

I would add that I have one of my 5 phals in flower and 3 more with
flower stems coming so I have them sussed!

Oooh! Good. That means you've got at least 8 phals.

No Only 5. LOL

Old 26-10-2014, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/10/2014 12:13, Pam Moore wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 22:30:10 +0100, Spider wrote:

I would add that I have one of my 5 phals in flower and 3 more with
flower stems coming so I have them sussed!

Oooh! Good. That means you've got at least 8 phals.

No Only 5. LOL

Awww. (Stamps foot :~)). You're not trying hard enough. If you carry
on like that, you'll still be able to see out of your windows in the new
year;~). Go on, get another five ...

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-10-2014, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/10/2014 15:33, Pam Moore wrote:
I have told before the saga of my cymbidium which hasn't flowered
since I bought it at least 15 years ago though 4 plants I made by
splitting it and gave away, have all flowered the last 2 years.
The only reason I can think of is that I gave mine plenty of space in
a new pot, the others were crammed into smaller pots! All in orchid
compost.
Mine has been outside all summer.
Question; should I bring it in before we have a frost or leave it
untill we have had a few cold nights. It's looking very healthy and is
almost bursting its pot!
Pam near Bristol

I hate to be different, but I repotted my 2 cymbidiums in June, they
have stayed in the glasshouse all summer with just Automatic vents, I
kept the doors shut.
Just checked on them and one has 3 flower spikes coming and the other
has 1 at present.
I wonder if it's the temp. change rather than exposing to near freezing
that initiates the flower development.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps9e80e083.jpg

Also a picture of the spotting I mentioned in another thread
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps3f67df3d.jpg

Cymbidium query Kate Orchids 11 19-03-2008 01:09 PM
Cymbidium Florida Flamingo 'Pink Passion' Go Gators Orchids 0 22-02-2003 09:39 PM
Pete's unknown Cymbidium [email protected] United Kingdom 11 30-01-2003 07:07 AM
Cymbidium goeringii - Thanks! Roger Van Loon United Kingdom 2 28-01-2003 01:44 PM
Cymbidium goeringii Roger Van Loon United Kingdom 0 27-01-2003 02:01 PM