Old 24-10-2014, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn Weeds

I have been lurking here for a few weeks and would now like to tap your
not inconsiderable collective knowlege.

I have two problem weeds, one in each of my two lawns. Both have been
treated with Verdone and a spray on spot weeder with no effect. The
first is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41828lh67k..._1921.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj1bm8c9rr..._1922.JPG?dl=0

This one has purple flowers looking somewhat like clover

and the second is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tudftpbyxs..._1923.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qeeo1g96g..._1924.JPG?dl=0

The foliage is purple and seems to shed water - it spreads readily.

I appreciate that one answer is to dig it all up and re-seed but the
second covers a considerable area and appears to spread from the
smallest fragment

TIA

Malcolm Race
Old 24-10-2014, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Malcolm Race wrote:
I have been lurking here for a few weeks and would now like to tap your
not inconsiderable collective knowlege.

I have two problem weeds, one in each of my two lawns. Both have been
treated with Verdone and a spray on spot weeder with no effect. The
first is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41828lh67k..._1921.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj1bm8c9rr..._1922.JPG?dl=0

This one has purple flowers looking somewhat like clover

Self-heal. Dig it up, religiously. That's not too hard, as its
flowers stand out well. It's very attractive, and a functional
lawn plant, but is much darker than grass.

and the second is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tudftpbyxs..._1923.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qeeo1g96g..._1924.JPG?dl=0

The foliage is purple and seems to shed water - it spreads readily.

I appreciate that one answer is to dig it all up and re-seed but the
second covers a considerable area and appears to spread from the
smallest fragment

Oxalis (sorrel). I am not sure which. Try nuclear weapons, or
glyphosate and often.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-10-2014, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message ...
I have been lurking here for a few weeks and would now like to tap your not
inconsiderable collective knowlege.

I have two problem weeds, one in each of my two lawns. Both have been treated with
Verdone and a spray on spot weeder with no effect. The first is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41828lh67k..._1921.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj1bm8c9rr..._1922.JPG?dl=0

This one has purple flowers looking somewhat like clover

and the second is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tudftpbyxs..._1923.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qeeo1g96g..._1924.JPG?dl=0

The foliage is purple and seems to shed water - it spreads readily.

I appreciate that one answer is to dig it all up and re-seed but the second covers a
considerable area and appears to spread from the smallest fragment

The first is Self-heal which is quite tough but a good raking before cutting
will lift the stems above the level of the grass so that they will be cut off.
This will control it and may eventually kill it.

The second is Oxalis and I think that the only way to deal with it is with
repeated verdone2 treatments. It produces underground bulbils which
can be as small as a mustard seed but will still grow. Killing off all leaves
as soon as they appear may be the only solution, but I would be very
interested to hear the views of others.

Ardmhor

Old 24-10-2014, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Malcolm Race wrote:
[...]

Agree the second one is Oxalis and a nuclear bomb would just spread the seed
over the whole country!

I have it here, it seeds into the front garden where I constantly try to
control it, it seeds into pots where I try to pull it out, it seeds into
paving where I use a flame wand to control it, I try not to let it seed but
it hides under other plants. Luckily it does not appear to like our grass.
If you get it in a packed greenhouse OMG total repotting job.

BTW don't try composting it, dump it.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-10-2014, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/10/2014 15:57, Malcolm Race wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for your prompt and detailed replies. My worst fears are
confirmed - dig it out seems to be the best option in both cases :-)

Malcolm

Old 27-10-2014, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/10/2014 16:13, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , Malcolm Race wrote:
I have been lurking here for a few weeks and would now like to tap your
not inconsiderable collective knowlege.

I have two problem weeds, one in each of my two lawns. Both have been
treated with Verdone and a spray on spot weeder with no effect. The
first is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41828lh67k..._1921.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj1bm8c9rr..._1922.JPG?dl=0

This one has purple flowers looking somewhat like clover

Self-heal. Dig it up, religiously. That's not too hard, as its
flowers stand out well. It's very attractive, and a functional
lawn plant, but is much darker than grass.

I let small amounts of it grow in my lawns. It isn't too invasive and
has nice flowers. But then I don't like a monochrome green lawn. I only
really draw the line at dandelions - they have to come out. Verdone will
kill it and a good raking and hand weeding will easily thin it out.

and the second is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tudftpbyxs..._1923.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qeeo1g96g..._1924.JPG?dl=0

The foliage is purple and seems to shed water - it spreads readily.

I appreciate that one answer is to dig it all up and re-seed but the
second covers a considerable area and appears to spread from the
smallest fragment

Oxalis (sorrel). I am not sure which. Try nuclear weapons, or
glyphosate and often.

It is very common around here but it doesn't cause any bother at all in
my lawns. Paths and everywhere else but not in the lawn. I'd have
expected Verdone to kill that too but you might have to use a bit more.

Try a weed & feed treatment in spring. Grass should be able to out
compete the oxalis in a healthy lawn.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown