Old 27-10-2014, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bt are dropping Usenet

Just had a mail to tell me BT are no longer providing Usenet access, turns
out they had a tie up with Giganews which is finishing, and suggesting we
all migrate to Giganews directly (from US$4.99 to US$29.99 per month!).
Makes News.individual.net look cheap.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 27-10-2014, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

Just had a mail to tell me BT are no longer providing Usenet access, turns
out they had a tie up with Giganews which is finishing, and suggesting we
all migrate to Giganews directly (from US$4.99 to US$29.99 per month!).
Makes News.individual.net look cheap.

But still more expensive than Eternal September
news.eternal-september.org

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 27-10-2014, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Bob Hobden wrote:

Just had a mail to tell me BT are no longer providing Usenet access, turns
out they had a tie up with Giganews which is finishing, and suggesting we
all migrate to Giganews directly (from US$4.99 to US$29.99 per month!).
Makes News.individual.net look cheap.

But still more expensive than Eternal September
news.eternal-september.org

Chris

Well you can't get much cheaper than free.
--
bert
Old 27-10-2014, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

Just had a mail to tell me BT are no longer providing Usenet access, turns
out they had a tie up with Giganews which is finishing, and suggesting we
all migrate to Giganews directly (from US$4.99 to US$29.99 per month!).
Makes News.individual.net look cheap.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

--------

I have not received such a notification (been a BT customer for 14 years).
Can't find anything on MyBT or with a Google search.
Maybe yours was a spoof/scam perhaps, have you looked at (right-click)
PropertiesDetailsMessage Source?

I did receive email from BT today about paying the bill. so they know where
to find me :-)

Grenou

Old 27-10-2014, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well - this is the message URL --

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d..._FURL_giganews

Seems genuine to me.

Old 27-10-2014, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter & Jeanne" wrote in message

Well - this is the message URL --

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d..._FURL_giganews

Seems genuine to me.

------

You're right, that has to be genuine.
Oh dear, what a pain.
I wonder why we haven't been notified, hmm.

Thanks for the link, I will now have to make new plans for newsgroup access.

Grenou

Old 28-10-2014, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

Just had a mail to tell me BT are no longer providing Usenet access, turns
out they had a tie up with Giganews which is finishing, and suggesting we
all migrate to Giganews directly (from US$4.99 to US$29.99 per month!).
Makes News.individual.net look cheap.

But still more expensive than Eternal September
news.eternal-september.org

Yes but NIN is only Euro10 per year. My problem is I do look/post on a
binary Ng too and both NIN and ES don't do binaries.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-10-2014, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Just had a mail to tell me BT are no longer providing Usenet access, turns
out they had a tie up with Giganews which is finishing, and suggesting we
all migrate to Giganews directly (from US$4.99 to US$29.99 per month!).
Makes News.individual.net look cheap.

My ISP dropped Usenet years ago so I went to News individual.net which would
be cheap at 5 times the price (10 euros/year) They provide a good service:
they filter out almost all spam and there is always a real person on the end
of the email if you need help.
However, I understand Plusnet still support Usenet, you might consider
swapping your ISP to them. I've considered it myself to get free Usenet
access, but tbh, it's too much trouble to save 10 euros.
I recommend NIN and it's not difficult to sign up with them.
https://news.individual.net/

Old 28-10-2014, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Just had a mail to tell me BT are no longer providing Usenet access,
turns out they had a tie up with Giganews which is finishing, and
suggesting we all migrate to Giganews directly (from US$4.99 to US$29.99
per month!). Makes News.individual.net look cheap.

My ISP dropped Usenet years ago so I went to News individual.net which
would be cheap at 5 times the price (10 euros/year) They provide a good
service: they filter out almost all spam and there is always a real person
on the end of the email if you need help.
However, I understand Plusnet still support Usenet, you might consider
swapping your ISP to them. I've considered it myself to get free Usenet
access, but tbh, it's too much trouble to save 10 euros.
I recommend NIN and it's not difficult to sign up with them.
https://news.individual.net/

I already use NIN for non-binary Ngs (as well as BT) as they cut out all the
rubbish but it's the binary one I'm interested in although it certainly
isn't worth paying extra for.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-10-2014, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Christina Websell" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

Turns out, at least I'm told, Eternal-September carry the binary Ng I'm
interested in despite them saying they don't do binary Ngs.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-10-2014, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Chris J Dixon" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

Just had a mail to tell me BT are no longer providing Usenet access,
turns
out they had a tie up with Giganews which is finishing, and suggesting we
all migrate to Giganews directly (from US$4.99 to US$29.99 per month!).
Makes News.individual.net look cheap.

But still more expensive than Eternal September
news.eternal-september.org

Yes but NIN is only Euro10 per year. My problem is I do look/post on a
binary Ng too and both NIN and ES don't do binaries.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

The problem with Eternal September is that it is well known as the home of
trolls (presumably because it's free?) and some people killfile the whole
domain.

I used to look at a binary group too, but I gave it up to have NIN. Which
is worth every single euro, believe me.

I see no spam on newsgroups. No anti-Jew posts, no buy my xxx, nothing
because NIN filter it out before I see it and that's worth 10 euros a year
itself.
I leave it up to you.
It's a no-brainer.

Old 28-10-2014, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Just had a mail to tell me BT are no longer providing Usenet access, turns
out they had a tie up with Giganews which is finishing, and suggesting we
all migrate to Giganews directly (from US$4.99 to US$29.99 per month!).
Makes News.individual.net look cheap.

My ISP dropped Usenet years ago so I went to News individual.net which would
be cheap at 5 times the price (10 euros/year) They provide a good service:
they filter out almost all spam and there is always a real person on the end
of the email if you need help.
However, I understand Plusnet still support Usenet, you might consider
swapping your ISP to them. I've considered it myself to get free Usenet
access, but tbh, it's too much trouble to save 10 euros.
I recommend NIN and it's not difficult to sign up with them.
https://news.individual.net/

---------

Isn't Plusnet also BT?

Thanks for the recommendation :-)

Grenou

Old 28-10-2014, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 23:11:05 -0000, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

Just had a mail to tell me BT are no longer providing Usenet access,
turns
out they had a tie up with Giganews which is finishing, and suggesting we
all migrate to Giganews directly (from US$4.99 to US$29.99 per month!).
Makes News.individual.net look cheap.

But still more expensive than Eternal September
news.eternal-september.org

Yes but NIN is only Euro10 per year. My problem is I do look/post on a
binary Ng too and both NIN and ES don't do binaries.

I use Forte's Agent Usenet USD2.95/month for 20 gigabytes. Forte use
Easynews.
The retention is up to 10 years
https://www.forteinc.com/apn/subscri...%20Gigaby tes
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

----

Bedankt Martin ;-)

Grenou

Old 28-10-2014, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

Plusnet will probably do it all. I'm far too afraid to swap to them.

Old 28-10-2014, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

Plusnet will probably do it all. I'm far too afraid to swap to them.

Plusnet use giganews (same as BT currently) but they don't provide
binary groups.